Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if you have joint coustdy with your ex and he gave your kids to his parents and left the state and you found out ware they are in schoolcan you take the coustdoy papers to the school and get them back?

joint coustdy problems.

Answer Question

Asked by confused959 at 5:02 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • Absolutely, I would be there right now with the local sheriff to pick them up with papers in hand!!!

    Answer by 4x4mum at 5:08 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

  • Yes you can. If you have joint custody then you have every right to your children. With that said him up and leaving state and leaving them with his parent's I would be filing for sole custody ASAP! Good Luck.

    Answer by ChaoticSoul at 5:37 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

  • Call the cops first and meet them at the school with the custody papers and then file for sole custody with the courts. You can get an emergency hearing.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:01 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

  • yes

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

  • Don't most joint custody specifically state the rules ?? If not it would seem as tho they should . My daughter has PHYSICAL CUSTODY of my granddaughter ..but her dad has what they are calling joint custody but only means that the dad may have a say so in some areas but if not in agreement ..decision is that of custodial parent.

    Answer by nana2u10 at 4:12 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

  • yep, the grandparents have no legal standing and should not have been allowed to enroll them

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:27 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

  • the grandparent's enrolled them in school? that doesn't make sense to me. how did you not know where they were? why didn't you enroll them in school? did he change their school or something? what actually happened? because this just sounds bizarre to me. did you not have at least some form of visitation?

    and yes, i would think you could legally go get them. however, my question to that is, what is that going to do to the kids? to just go in there and drag them out...and especially if you involve the cops? i would think that would be traumatic. have you talked to his parents?

    how did all this come about?

    Answer by aly38914290 at 12:08 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

  • By all means take a policeman with you so you don't run into legal problems at the school. Have your papers with you, too. Make sure the police and the school authorities know ALL the details of what is going on, and a change of schools might be advisable. If your ex is out of state he needs to be contacted by the police. His parents don't have joint custody with you, HE does. Apparently he isn't interested in honoring his side of the agreement. His parents DON'T have the right to do this in any case. Make sure the grandparents are fully advised of this. No matter what you do, the children are going to have a little trauma over this, but if you assure them that you love them and and are doing it to make sure they are safe, they will get over it quickly.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

  • Not necessarily, but usually. It depends a lot on the wording of the agreement, and the state in which they now reside.

    A very few states do not recognize orders from other states, in which case the person who has physical custody of the kids retains it until the state they are in sorts it out. For the most part, get your attorney if you have one to make the arrangements with the local police department, and go get your kids. Make sure you have notorized copies of all paperwork involved, or go to the court and have them give you other copies. There will be a fee.

    Answer by lovinangels at 11:17 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

  • Kids are too important for parents to be uninformed!! GET LEGAL ADVICE!! Kids and thier safety and well being are worth it. We can give you advice all day but we dont know every detail and if we miss something that may seem trivial, it could be traumatic to your children!

    Answer by msjenn06 at 11:18 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.