what age do you start discipline babies,children ect?

my nine month son is crawling now. and hes getting into the habit of pulling the wires from the tvs and going for the outlits ect. so will tell him a firm no and pull him away and cover up the area with a gate. he then pulls the gate down crawls over it and goes again. i have to do it over and over all day. he laughs everytime i say no. so i talk to my mom and she said to pop him on his hand and say no. i tried it. a little pop and a firm no and he started laughing again. so then my mom said to pop him on his legs or harder on the hands. i did and he cried and went right back to the wires. anyway i dont think that he understands what im trying to tell him if he keeps going back to it. and i dont know if its right to inflict pain and he doesnt understand why.

anothergage

Asked by anothergage at 5:03 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sounds like a good time to start, better earlier than later, when they push your limits, thats hell!!!!!
    Anonymous

• I would say no wait till he gets it. It is just confusing him right now! He is just a lil baby yet. Awwe he sounds like explorer keep your eyes on him at all times!
    Anonymous

• Start by baby proofing your home, buy outlet covers so he can't stick stuff in them.... If you have a playpen; when he goes for the tv wires, tell him NO and put him in the playpen for awhile, do this everytime, soon he will leave them alone, but as kids do he will get into other things. Close off all doors to bedrooms and bathrooms you dont want him to go in, put kid locks on the cabinets, keep things like cleaning stuff up high and locked away (yeah he will learn to climb too). Hope this helps some
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:12 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• We started modified time outs once they were mobile. By the time they were a year old, they knew what it meant to hear "do you want to go in time out?" lol

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:25 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• As soon as mine was mobile and into things, I started.
    To start with, it was a simply "NO" or "Don't Touch" or "Not a toy". Followed by removing her or the item (whichever was best at the time) and finding something proper for her to explore.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Well first your baby is only 9 months, and he doesn't understand a slap or a firm no. I would definetly child proof the outlets. But I would never hit or slap a child that young they need to know you are their protector not form of hurt. My 10 month old gets into the TV stuff all the time and I just get up go get him and start a game somewhere else, switch his gears.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 5:48 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• my son is 10 months and since i refuse to put things up from him I do the firm NO dont touch that and then i hand him a toy away from what i dont want him into. the bad thing is you will find yourself repeating yourself over and over babies are curious. your lil one is just being a normal kid you have to find what works best for you good luck
    ambnwyattmom

Answer by ambnwyattmom at 6:39 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• omg!!! you didn't get bashed on this question?! I asked pretty much the same thing, because my dd is doing the same, and i just got told very bluntly and awfully rude that i was a bad mother!

must of been the wrong night to ask it! When you figure out what works let me know! Good luck!
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 6:59 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• There is no need to "pop" or hit your baby to teach them to behave. You say NO firmly, and move them away and try to get them interested in something that is okay for them to play with. You will need to do this a lot over the next several months until baby starts to learn what no means.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:40 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• A pop on the hand hand is a far cry from a spanking or child abuse for that matter. I was abused and suffered from it. However, my son receieved pops on the hand at that age because I refused to "Babyproof" the house. I would rather let him learn rules and boundries that set him free with none. He has suffered no ill effects from a hand pop. And he also didn't have explorative pesonality stopped from that either. When he was little, he always wanted to touch the curling iron for some reason. I always did the firm No and finally popped his hand and one day decided to let him touch it. He never reached for it again. The tv cords are a bit of a different situation. He could really get hurt. Just keep telling him firmly "NO" and tell him that it will hurt him and you can give a hand pop. Also, turn him around a send him in another direction. Eventually he will tire out.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:54 AM on Mar. 16, 2009