cribs?

i have looked at several resale shops and there is no cribs in my area that are cheap enough for me to buy for the twins that i am going to have pretty soon. so wal mart has pac n plays for around 40.00. do you think that it would be a bad idea for me to buy 2 pac n plays for the twins and let them sleep in them instead of spending around 100.00 each on 2 cribs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes i do, cribs are better for them, pack and plays are cribs....... and what will you do when they are 1 and too big for it, but not ready for a bed yet???? cribs last longer....
    Anonymous

• i mean pack and plays ARENT cribs
    Anonymous

• I think you're better off with the crib. Most will turn into toddler beds, and then days beds, and so you can used them much longer. Look at Goodwill, check Craigslist. Good luck.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 5:25 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• i agree mine turned into a toddler bed too, and pack and plays arent meant to be cribs, sorry
    Anonymous

• Also, twins can sleep in the same crib for several months. That could give you some extra time to find another cheap crib.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 5:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Start with one crib. They are sharing a MUCH smaller space right now! Save up and buy the second one.

Anoymous is right - cribs are much sturdier. Kids quickly learn how to climb out of pack-n-plays and then you are faced with moving them to a bed long before they are mentally ready for the freedom a bed brings.

Also, try craigslist and freecycle. You may find someone who has a crib they don't need anymore and are just looking for someone to pass it along to for free.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Pack and Plays are not meant to be used without adult supervision (children have suffocated in them while unattended, depending on how they're made, the sides can collapse etc.). I consider going to sleep for a night-time length of sleep (even if they're in your room) to be "unattended."

Also, Pack and Plays in the bassinette setting are only meant to be used for up to 15lbs, when the baby can pull him/herself up on their knees OR until three months of age (whichever comes first). Then they have to be lowered to the floor setting which is wicked on your back as well as opens them up to the dangers I mentioned above. The Pack-N-Play mattress is only a thin board with a bit of padding on it. It is not the same or as comfortable as a mattress.

Can you try freecyle.org or other places to find cribs? Can you find used bassinettes in the meantime until you can save up for cribs?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I used a pack & play with a bassinett top for my twins to share for the first 3 months, but after that I moved them to individual cribs and really didn't use the pack & play at all. A lot of people also start them both out in one regular crib, but most eventually move them to separate cribs. You can get by with one crib for at least a few months, so I would say buy one crib now and worry about a second in a few months; that would give you time to keep looking for a less expensive second crib.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• my son is 2 months and still does not have a crib he has a pac n play with the bassinet...the bassinet is good up to 20 lbs while he has been in it i have been saving for a crib try craigslist.com its an online classifieds website i got his mattress for $30 through the website and it is brand new. also look fr consignment stores in your area
    breebers

Answer by breebers at 2:19 AM on Mar. 21, 2009