what do you do when your toddler purposefully throws a block at his younger brother's head?

I am an AP, meaning I believe in disciplining my children, but not by spanking or humiliating them in any way. Today my toddler purposefully threw a block at my 8 month old's head. We were all playing together and then I saw him pick it up and throw it at the back of his head. My 8 month old didn't cry or anything, but it was still wrong. So I took my toddler aside and said "you do not throw, it hurts" and I said it very seriously. Well, my toddler started to laugh. So, I put him in the next room. I don't know what else to do, but i know there has to be something!

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 5:12 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your toddler need a good slap to see what it feels like!
    Anonymous

• yeah, like I said I do not hit my kids to show them not to hit.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I wanted to add.... this is a rare occasion. He had throw something at his brother maybe once or twice before this incident.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 5:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Well, I don't know if my advice will work.. because my kids would get a spanking for that, and they know it, and we have never had them throw things at eachother on purpose. But what about a time out, or loss of toy privlages. the laughing is kinda disturbing. Like he thinks either it funny that he threw it, or that you told him that it was wrong....... what is he heart issue here? Is he jelous of his brother, is there changes in your home that could make him angry with you? I think if you can find the heart issue, then it would be much easier for you to find a way to deal with it. Besides, if you can't find the heart issue and adress the actual cause, then all that discipline of any form will do is just pacify the behavior externally as a greater issue build in his heart.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:18 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I think he was laughing because I intimitated him by my tone if voice, This has happened before, and I remember doing that as a child when my mom spoke to me in a serious tone becauyse I was in trouble. There are a lot of things going on right now. My son is going through jealousy issues, and he has a cold, so probably not feelingh well. I have been very stressed and emotional because I am pregnant again. So there could be so many reasons why he is acting up. I know he needs more one o none attention righrt now, and I think that is why he was acting up. We had just had our playtime, then the baby woke up and joined us, so he probab;y felt jealousy because he had to share me.... wow, thanks I just realized that.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 5:25 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• aklso, its past his naptime.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 5:29 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Now that you relize the issue behind it, think very carefully the best way to deal with it and reassure him of his position in your life. But one thing that I allways say to my kids is, "our feelings do not dictate our actions". Its one thing to be jelous, but to act out in anger towards the object of his jelousy needs to be stopped. It will only get worse as you get more pregnant, and even more so when there is one more baby involved. Good luck, I know how difficult it is to have a plate full of kids.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Time out can work very well. But don't put him out of sight.
    Pick a timeout spot that you will use from now on. If you need to be able to move it around, try an old baby blanket on the floor as a portable time-out spot. Other choices - a chair in a corner, the bottom step, the middle of the kitchen floor, an empty playpen (no toys). His room and crib should never be used.
    You can give a warning if you want (good for new situations) or, if you think he knows a rule was broken already, go straight to time out.
    He gets one minute per year of age and you can add 1/2 minutes at 1/2 birthdays. Time starts once the tantrum stops - assuming he starts to throw a fit as soon as you plop him in timeout.
    Stay nearby and in his sight. He may panic if you leave. He is experiencing very strong emotions and seeing you will help. Do NOT talk to him or look at him. Pretend to read a book or something.
    Go over the rule when time is up.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Time out works for us. But if they get up before they aloud you cant just let it happen. I use a timer, and when the time goes off, they can get up. But if your child is very young it cant be for very long. just a couple minutes or so.
    Anonymous

• Loss of blocks for the rest of the day and time out. When we started it was a playpen in the living room with no toys that only got used for timeouts and now (as they got older) time out it is in a specific chair in the living room and there is a timer (1 minute per year of age) that tells them when they can get up. It was difficult at first to get them to sit, but they eventually get it. I too do not hit my children. If it is past nap time and he is possibly jealous then you need to address that too. My DS would always get a little "mean" when he needed some mommy time (or daddy)
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:08 PM on Mar. 14, 2009