Do you let your preschooler play on the computer?

I hear all these mothers talking about how good their child is on the computer and them letting them play games. My daughter turned 3 in Dec. and she is not allowed to get close to my computer! I don't want it messed up! Just wondering how many parents allow this!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My DD is four and is not allowed on the PC

Christine113

Answer by Christine113 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• They are allowed if theya re sitting in our lap. We let them play at www.starfall.com. But they can only come near the computer if they have me or dh there will them.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:33 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• my dd is 3 and we let her on the computer she has a habit of clicking on stuff alot but shes aloud to play games on it and my 6 year old son has been playing on the computer since he was 2
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 5:37 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• on occasion, and he sits with me while I help him. He knows unless I tell him to, he can not be near the computer- he is 3. He uses them in preK at the computer lab- the have "books" they read on the computer.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 5:37 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• We have some toddler and preschool software for our daughter (Reader Rabbit). She LOVES it. So far she's just working on mastering mousing without having to click on anything (the toddler software). Once she starts seeming bored with that and/or seems really good at ti, I'll move her to the preschool software and teach her to click too.

I set up a user profile for her and then stripped it of just about everything to minimize the chance of her damaging anything. I also got her a child's mouse and child's keyboard - both are a little tougher and the keyboard has very few of the "function" type keys.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:39 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• My dd is 3 and she is great on the computer. Just don't allow drinks around it and you should be fine!
    Sahminky

Answer by Sahminky at 8:29 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I allow my son sometimes on the computer. It started when I bought a new one so he could play on the old laptop with his own programs (Reader Rabbit, Arthur's Preschool). Since on there he showed he could follow instructions, I allow him on my computer sometimes, but not very often. He tends to go in phases about being interested and lately he hasn't been - I think he's been on the computer twice in the last 3 weeks or so. When he's on, he just uses the mouse, not the keyboard, to click things.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 12:05 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• my 3 yr old plays on my computer. i log her into nickjr.com and she plays away. she likes to play the backyardigans games. shes pretty good on it and doesnt normally get into anything else.
    jenkent

Answer by jenkent at 9:29 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• My 3.5 year old loves playing the preschool games we have. We made him a profile with few rights and no other software and a special keyboard and mouse. he only gets to play 1 hour a day and only when mom and dad say he is allowed. His profile is password protected as are all the others just in case or his sister tries to get into the computer without us. His sister loves to watch him and I am sure will be wanting to play the games herself soon.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:12 PM on Mar. 15, 2009