advice on potty training a 3 year old???

my son is 3 year old and we bought him his special little potty chair and the potty training cartoons and books and everything you can think of but he wants nothing to do with the potty! I ask him throughout the day if he needs to potty and he says he doesnt and then i will catch him hiding some where going potty in his diaper i've tried letting him run around naked but that didnt get anywhere he just ran and hid and left a mess for me to clean up! It seems hopeless at this point

theirmommy06

Asked by theirmommy06 at 5:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• he's not ready. I felt the same way with my son, he eventually got it. Don't pressure, don't stress, try the rewards (stickers, M*M's). They all get it when they are ready. My son is almost 5 and he still waits til the very last minute to go into the bathroom.
    Good luck
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 7:38 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• My son is turning 3 in April and we're just starting the whole potty training thing. I make him wear big boy underwear when we're in the house and I ask and ask and ask if he has to go, but he always says no. But if he starts to pee a little, he'll tell me, and I'll help him on the potty and stuff...
    There's a lot of pressure for us to PT our kids starting at two. I'm looking for daycare for him since I just moved and my mom can't be my babysitter anymore... everyone wants to put him w/ the little kids since he's not PT yet. Unfair. How hard is it, really, to change a freakin diaper?
    Try getting him some underwear. My son has Lightning McQueen. Like I said, if he pees, he immediately tells me. If he's in a diaper, (or even pull ups) it doesn't phase him at all.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 12:43 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• yeah agreein with the girl above, yeah get him some underwear because my son turned 3 this pass december and he has been potty trained since he was 2 1/2. i never used pull ups only if i was travelin in a car and our destinantion has no public restrooms. u have to monitor his liquid intake because when u ask them they will say no, but it is up to u as the parent to know when to take them. U must stop fluids after a certain hour because if u dont then you will have a wet mes to clean up. If u decide to give fluids after a cetain hour then U MUST drink fluids with them. why i say that is because if u wake up and use the bathroom in the middle of the night, then take him with you. i know its stressful but you will be greatly happier when u are not cleanin up pee and poop everywhere. only use underwear not pampers or pullups cause it feels like pampers and then u have to retry again.
    Shaygurl

Answer by Shaygurl at 2:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I have a three and a four year old and I didn't think they'd ever be potty trained . I thought I tried everything then I found this book on the net basically you put a sticker chart right next to there potty seat and you set a timer for every thirty minutes and you sing a song when the timer goes off like it's potty time yeah ,yeah its potty time(very enthustasticly) and even if they say they don't have to go you make them sit on th potty for a couple minutes if they go # 1 they get one sticker if they go #2 they get two stickers and once there sticker chart is completley full they get a prize. (explain this to the child)Its quite annoying to make them go to the bathroom and sing every 30 minutes but Its only for a couple days untill they get it both my sons were potty trained in two days .but the key is being persistant and making sure they sit on the potty every 30 minutes. hope this helps
    adamjessika

Answer by adamjessika at 3:39 PM on Mar. 15, 2009