Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

There's mold in my toddler's room!

We just moved to the Pacific NW three months ago, and when I was cleaning and rearranging my daughter's room yesterday I found some mold in the corner. I called our maintenance (we live in military housing) and they can't come out until Tuesday. I had a headache while cleaning, but I have lots of headaches, so I don't know if it was related.

We moved her mattress into our room and are having her sleep in there until it is resolved. Here's my question! Is it ok to let her play in there some during the day? I tried just having her pull toys out to the living room, but she just doesn't understand why she can't go in her room. What do you think? Beyond the gross science projects in my fridge, I've never dealt with mold before.

 
toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 5:39 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Kids' Health

Level 16 (2,464 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • the reason i ask, is because if i remember correctly when hurricane Katrina came through there were houses that would get this black mold, and i was told to stay away from it-not really sure why. try keeping her out of there just to be on the safe side. sorry i cant be more help
    SThompson21

    Answer by SThompson21 at 5:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

  • is it black or black dots
    SThompson21

    Answer by SThompson21 at 5:40 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

  • It's hard to say, it's definitely a darker color.
    toriandgrace

    Answer by toriandgrace at 5:44 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

  • black mold is the one that makes you sick.if its light green to green,.i would say dont let her play around it but being in her room is okay.but if its black mold i wouldnt let her in there for too long or at all. breathing in the air around black mold is NOT good.it causes you to get headaches stomach aches etc.it will make you sick for sure.
    naturepeace

    Answer by naturepeace at 5:50 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

  • I think it's green. Thanks, I just don't know much about it, and don't want to hurt her at all.
    toriandgrace

    Answer by toriandgrace at 5:52 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

  • I don't know much about mold but wanted to ask if you could tell what may have caused it. Is there a leaky window, roof, or anything else that might cause it to be damp there? If I was you, I'd request that they pull the carpet back a bit in that spot to be sure it's not underneath. You could just be seeing the tip of the iceberg. I think as long as you have the room ventilated a bit (open the window) then it's ok to go in and out of the room. I wouldn't stay in there long just to be on the safe side though :)
    ReneeK3

    Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:32 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

  • Black mold is the reason we moved out of our house and in with my inlaws. I had severe headaches and even nose bleeds. I would get fatigued quickly and have cold sweats. Not a fun place to hang out!
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Mar. 14, 2009