How can I help my 2nd grade daughter like math. She's just in the middle of double digit subtraction?

She understands how to do it but she struggles a little at it. Since she doesn't like to do math homework it makes for a big traumatic fight every night. If she has 10 problems she'll get 6 right and get all discouraged at the other 4 and even give up even more and not try after that. Any suggestions would greatly help since she's only beginning the adventure of MATH. Thanks Sadielg

Sadielg

Asked by Sadielg at 5:50 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• get a box of cheerios and lay them out on the counter just like they did with single digit subtractions....its the same thing just double the numbers say if she has 69-71 then she has to deal with the 9 and the 1 so take 9 cheerios and subract 1 cheerio right that number down underneath the problem and then do the same with the other side see if that doesnt help her out a lil bit...let me know if u try it and it worksssssssss
    BBKMommy

Answer by BBKMommy at 5:55 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Make math fun. Let her play online math games and do hands-on things.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• my daughter likes online games and card games. talk to her teacher for ideas. also, you can look online for different ideas as well. there are lots of sites with games and other worksheet type things in all different areas.... good luck. also, keep encouraging her. let her know that you know she can do it, and try helping her see how its just like the single digit subtraction.

good luck!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 7:13 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• try getting online math games cds. I know I wet to Big Lots and other cheap stores and bought alot of PC math games for my three oldest sons and nieces when they were little. Now my sister has her 5 year old son doing them.
    CShah

Answer by CShah at 6:47 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I would break it down and do half the problems, then take a break, and complete the rest. If she does them without fussing, then she gets a reward. Tell her about it before she starts.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 5:20 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• If your daughter is like my son, she may struggle because the math is becoming more abstract and she's very concrete. We use every visual and manipulative known to man! (It helps that I'm a former SpEd teacher and now administrator, too.) Use a number line/chart, actual coins, graph paper, Cheerios, "scratch" paper, popsicle sticks, etc. As I've explained to my husband, it's important for him to know HOW he gets the answer NOT if he knows it all in his head. I've also started having my son check his work (to save me some time) with a calculator: the work's done and he corrects his mistakes = more practice. And, he loves to use the calculator = more motivation. My son's 2nd grade teacher is also the best! For this entire year, they've had to "memorize" single-digit addition and subtraction problems; each week they get 10-12 problems and he creates flash cards. Keep encouraging her and providing strategies. Good luck
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 9:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I like the Cheerios idea. Pizza is good for fractions. Food and cooking, doubling recipes. figuring out how many batches to make for a large group of people, all good ways to help math feel more friendly to girls. I love math and I love quilting. There is a connection. Maybe she relates to shopping and money. Pose some questions based on how much change you would get back if...

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:47 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Thanks for all the suggestions. We are in the process of doing at least 5 double digit problems a day. If she gets them all right, she's done, if she gets one wrong she needs to correct that one and I add one more problem. She thinks it's unfair but I tell her that she doesn't have to like doing math but she NEEDS to do math. And knowing that she could be done after five problems helps, we are also trying to get in the habit of rechecking the answer. By taking the answer and readding it to the middle number to get the top number. Since addition is easier for her we go in reverse and she's able to catch any mistakes easier. We'll see how it goes, some days are better than others:)
    Sadielg

Answer by Sadielg at 3:09 PM on Mar. 18, 2009