Hemorrhoid help

I was horribly sick a month or so ago, and between meds and everything else, I developed bad hemorrhoids. I had them when I was pregnant, and was able to clear them up, no problem. This time, they're much worse, and I can't get rid of them this time.
I'd welcome any and all advice. My regular doc is on vacation for the next 2 weeks, and I'd really like to either cure them myself, or wait until she's back so I can see her. Any relief tips? Cure tips?

debra_benge

Asked by debra_benge at 6:11 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Health

• Seriously, try Anusol instead of Prep H.
    Anonymous

• If your doctor has an on-call, give them a call. I never found any of the over the counter remedies worked for me. My doctor prescribed something a while back ...but sorry, I can't recall the name. Other than that, try epson salts in a warm bath.
    Anonymous

• Warm bath is good. I used preparation H. witch hazel to cleanse with. I think Tucks is basically the same thing. Get plenty of fiber, water. Do not get constipated. Drink prune juice, apple juice. Hope that helps
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 6:46 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Get the apple juice that has the fiber in it. Drink a glass of warm water with half a fresh squeezed lemon and add honey to sweeten it. Honey in your oatmeal will help as well. Make sure to get plenty of water. I hope you feel better soon
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:08 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Deb, warm baths with herbs or epsom salts are good. Also use olive oil and lavendar oil mixed together to sort of numb the area and relieve the itching. LOTS of fiber, green leafy veggies, etc. Stay active and walk a lot to decrease the pressure from sitting. I had a bitch of a time with them earlier this pregnancy. It was horrid. I don't like Prep H because of all the chemicals, so I used oil a lot and kind of tucked the hemorrhoid back in (TMI) at the advice of my midwife. It helped a lot and went away quickly.
    hippie_momma

Answer by hippie_momma at 10:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• The best remedy is prevention....make sure you are eating lots and lots of fiber and drinking enough water. I've had what the doctors say are varicose veins in my rectum (basically hemorhoids that are higher up) since about the age of 19. I've never found that any of the over the counter stuff helps very much. The times I've had a flare up have usually been when I'm not eating right or when I've been drinking too much (alcohol).
    Kimpossible

Answer by Kimpossible at 8:00 AM on Mar. 15, 2009