Christianity and Twilight / Harry Potter.

Just because you enjoy movie and books like Twilight and Harry Potter does that mean that you don't truly believe in God, or that you can not truly be a Christian?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Harry Potter is an excellent portrayal of being Christian in a secular society. The books are all set with the theme of Harry learning how to be "in the world and yet not of the world". He's raised among people who deny the existence of magic or anything unseen (which is a very direct allegory for the secular attitude today which denies the existence of God or the importance of spiritual values). Remember this was written in extremely secular Britain.
    Harry learns that "magic" not only exists, but that his personal actions matter. Even among the people who DO acknowledge "magic" & who apply themselves to doing good, most of them think the danger of evil is over and past. Harry learns they are mistaken, and that their ignorance is being used by a stealthy evil character to gather political power and unwitting allies. Harry cannot convince people to be wary, and he must himself act. The books even include a biassed media!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:27 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• No..It means you enjoy reading fictional books but you still believe in God.
    Anonymous

• You can be a Christian too.
    Honey, the word "Christian" has had a stereotype to it that people don't understand.
    Anonymous

• what? that's crazy. Religion should not control what you read / watch. Your relationship with your higher power (God, Buddha, whoever) is between you and the hp. If you feel it's wrong, then obviously don't do it.

kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 6:32 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Absolutely not. I am a Christian and LOVE the Twilight series and movie. As long as these "secular" ideas aren't interferring in your walk with Christ, then I don't think it matters.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:34 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• No
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• As long as these "secular" ideas aren't interferring in your walk with Christ, then I don't think it matters.

I'm sorry but I find this statement rather humorous as BOTH Harry Potter and Twilight were written by women who are Christians.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:49 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• NO of course not. They are fictional works. Think kristi said it best.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:55 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Kristi: Who ever said writing the novels was forbidden? They may have wonderful relationships with God...we just don't know.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:04 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Well if you had a great relationship with God you most likely wouldn't want to read either of those books . You would want to protect your heart from being exposed to the demonic spirit world.

When I turned from God for a very very short time I saw the 1st 4 movies. It showed me how REAL the demonic world is and I hate it when my husband watches it everytime it is on tv... makes me ill!
    Yes when you open yourself to those things, you open the door wide for the enemy to come in and wreck havoc. I do not expect all to understand but you can ask former witches and warlocks who came to Christ or former satanists and they will tell you how evil it is. They have been there, experienced it and seen that side.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:18 PM on Mar. 14, 2009