N e 1 know how to keep a newborn awake so he'll sleep @ night?

AshleyRiv

Asked by AshleyRiv at 6:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't recommend doing that! My sister did that, she kept my niece awake all day long to see if she would sleep at night... hahaha the joke was on her, and she was up that WHOLE night... So I wouldn't do this...

ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 6:32 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• When he/she wakes to eat see if you can get baby to play with you first by just talking to him and such and if so do that for as long as you can until you have to feed baby.....if that doesn't work try unswaddling if you swaddle.....or try feeding then playing.
    nlmorus06

Answer by nlmorus06 at 6:33 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Really...from expirience ( I have a 3yr old and a 9 month old) keeping a newborn awake will only do one thing and thats make them cranky! I tried this with my first and itt didnt make her sleep through the night if anything it made things worse because she became so overtired that then she wouldnt settle down for a good sleep.
    Now with my youngest I did the eat, wake, sleep cycle. Where suring the day when she wakes from sleeping you feed then make sure they are awake for like 45 (this is when they are very young like under 12 wks) then let them take a small 45 min nap...we did this all day througout the day (she ate ever 2-3 hours during the day time) and by 2 weeks she was sleeping from 10-4:30 at night then she would wake eat and go back down til 10 am.........BIG difference than from my first. So in my opinion when baby is tired I let them sleep!! Good Luck its hard to have sleepless nights I know!
    MommiOf2Gurlz

Answer by MommiOf2Gurlz at 6:34 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• dont do it nb need there sleep, they sleep alot, what will happen is, if you keeo them up theyll get OVERTIRED and have a HARD time going down again at night.
    Anonymous

• This does not work! Do NOT endanger your child's health by trying this!

Newborns are generally not able to sleep all night. Not 5 hours, not 8 hours, not all night. First, the baby has to at least double his birth weight. Before that, he usually needs to wake up to eat during the night. Then the brain has to mature - the areas that control daytime and nighttime sleep in particular. That can't be rushed or changed. Last but not least, every baby is different. Some will be "good" sleepers, some won't. Again, you can't change that.

An overtired baby or young child is literally in pain. Would you pinch your child constantly, all day and night long? Of course not. But trying to force him to stay awake does the same thing. His little body will flood with adrenaline and he won't be able to sleep well once you let him sleep. You will hate being around him and he will hate everything in general.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:42 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• When can you expect him to sleep "all night"?
    By 6 months, most babies will sleep for 5 hours or more.
    By 8 months, most will sleep for 8 hours or more.
    By 12 months, most will sleep from bedtime to morning.

Illness, teething, and being overtired will throw these off, make the child fight sleep, make the child wake up more at night.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:44 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• really bad idea. The baby gets over tired and won't sleep at all. I tried. Best thing to do is make them sleep at the same times all the time and they get in a routine.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 6:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• ok if you are asking this because you think if you do it your baby will sleep all night I'm sorry sweetie not happening. If you are wanting to do it because you child has there days and nights mixed up I can help. My son did that at around 3 weeks maybe a month. I would keep him up for a solid hour I picked from 8-9. If he could go longer we would I did that for a week and at the same time everyday and that was fixed no problems. Hasnt happend since. Hope this helps
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 7:48 PM on Mar. 14, 2009