Is it possible to have late onset postpartum depression?

My child is 8 1/2 months old. Lately, all I want to do is sit on my couch, and it's a battle to get out of the house. Some days I literally have to force myself to get dressed. I still make sure my child is fed, clothed, clean and taken care of, but that is all I usually have energy for. Can postpartum depression show up this late, or is this just a funk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Health

• IT can happen up to 24 months after you have your child
    efmeador0709

Answer by efmeador0709 at 6:38 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• im in the same boat sister, my baby is 6 months
    Anonymous

• OP here. I love my baby. But some days, I just feel so disconnected from baby. I don't want to cuddle the baby, I don't want to play with baby. I NEVER neglect baby. Baby is always fed when baby is hungry and changed when baby is dirty. Baby has many things to keep baby entertained. I feel like I am taking care of someone else's child. I can't wait for the end of the day when my husband is home, so I don't have to do anything with the baby. It's not like this every day, but it is getting more and more frequent.
    Anonymous

• I'm not the OP but... thank you efmeador0709. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me either. It seems like PPD... but then I thought it couldn't be since my child is so old. Now I'm thinking maybe it is. i better get in and see a doctor.
    Anonymous

• OP I totally know what you mean. It's like I'm taking care of someone elses child. Sure I love him- but he's not mine. And I feed him and I take care of him- but it's more like I'm a babysitter instead of a mom.
    Anonymous

• Yes, yes, yes! As the first poster said, it can start anytime in the first 2 years. GO GET HELP! It will not get better on it's own and it may very well get worse!

Write a big note and stick it on your fridge - CALL THE DOCTOR MONDAY MORNING. Add your doctor's phone number. Go on, do it! You can call your OB or your family doctor. Either one can help.

Trust me, it's worth it. You are worth it. Your baby is worth it. Take a look at the last post you made to this question - you have a very impersonal way of referring to your baby. He's worth more than being called "baby". You are worth more than that. CALL MONDAY!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:51 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I would talk to your doctor about the feelings which you are experiencing. I suffered from PPD after my firstborn and had to go on meds. I didn't want to but it was explained to me that it would be beneficial if I did. I needed to take care of myself so I could in turn take care of my baby. I also found that getting into the fresh air helped my mood. Another idea is getting together with some other moms in your area. If you are a first time mom, it can be a very daunting task to take care your LO. You need all the support you can get. I hope this helps.
    abelmm2

Answer by abelmm2 at 6:57 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• PPD can happen anywhere in the first 24 months like a pp said. Post partum depression is NOT post partum psychosis. I know of ladies that didn't want to get help because they felt their dr might try to take away their baby because there was something "wrong" with them. Please don't feel that way. Go to your dr and get the help and medication that you need. You will feel better and so will your baby. I suffered from PPD with all of my children. Something about the hormone change after childbirth triggers it for me. I am still medicated and my lo is 10 1/2 months old. I am amazed at how much better I feel. I can not encourage you enough to go to the doctor and take the first step to getting better. Good luck to the both of you. You are worth it!!
    Galdarisimom

Answer by Galdarisimom at 7:40 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• it can be ppd cause at first your kinda numb like wow holy crap this is my kid then it b ecomes routine and once it gets back to "normal" your emotions settel down and they may not settel in a good place you need help my best recomendation for you is a two step plan go to a doctor and get meds for the imdiate ppd then go to a couseler to talk out the issues and work past them so you can come off the meds
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 7:41 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Yes, it can happen up to 24 months after baby. I finally got help when my DD was 8 months old (she's 2 1/2 now) when an incident between dh and I made me finally realize that I needed to seek help. At the time I was dx with PPD then 5 months later with major depression. I was put on meds and have felt good ever since.
    shanibug06

Answer by shanibug06 at 8:32 PM on Mar. 14, 2009