How long does your 6 month old nap?

My baby sleeps through the night. BUT during the day time his naps are only 30 minutes or so. I've been trying to get him on a better napping schedule but I don't know what to do. I've even tried making the room darker but that hasn't changed anything. What would you do?

momofpurebliss

Asked by momofpurebliss at 6:57 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My first daughter did what yours is doing, exactly. She woke up after 30 minutes on the dot, three times a day. It was aggravating because she seemed so cranky and tired! We darkened her room, tried white noise, tried changing the temp or her room... what finally worked was that she grew out of it.I think it was around 7 or 8 months. He's probably waking up during a light phase of his sleep cycle. Some people are able to go in and nurse their babies back to sleep when this happens, or give a pacifier or whatever, but this never worked for me. She just eventually started having an occasional hour and a half nap, and then it became more regularly. My second daughter who is 6 months now is all over the place. Usually one of her naps is 30 or 45 minutes, the other might be 1.5-2.5 hours, sometimes she'll take a third 30 minute one. It feels like a crapshoot! Try to keep your routine consistent and I bet she'll grow out of it.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:59 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Ok Generally he takes 2 naps a day one long 4 hour one and then another 2 hours on later in the day. Right now the schedual is all messed up since he's sick but thats normally how he sleep. Is this something that just recently changed? Or has it always been this way?
    If its a recent change that something new may be going on like getting a tooth or learning to crawl. I found out from on here that if your child is learning a new milestione that may mess with there sleep. Hope this helps
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 8:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Mine does the same thing. If I put him in his swing, he'll nap longer. I just let him do his 30 minutes. If it's enough for him, then it's enough for him.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 4:17 PM on Mar. 15, 2009