Is getting drunk a sin?

I just read that drinking is not a sin, but getting drunk is. Wow, that means that alot of people sin, alot. Am I right. Is there a bible passage to back this up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• According to the Bible everyone sins.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Hmm.. I think you know the answer... and you can go to www.biblegateway.com, click keyward search put in drunk ( nasb version) and you will come up with about 68 verses .:-) Go try it.. it is a very useful too I use often ! Have fun!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• the Bible says that drunkeness is a sin in Galations 5:19-21. in 1 Corinthians it says "drunkards" will not go to Heaven. this is from the NIV version. anytime the Bible lists a buncha things that are sins drunkeness or being a drunkard is in it.

i have heard ppl use these verses to say that all drinking is a sin, that getting drunk is a sin, or that being drunk constantly is a sin.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:53 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I think it's just stupid!
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:01 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I don't believe in "sins" but I DO believe that our body is our temple, our gift from GOD. And to harm it purposely in any way is probably not a very nice way to tell GOD that you're thankful for His gift.  Anything that harms your soul, spirit, brain, and/or body is just harmful to who you truly are.  And it's not that GOD is going to be angry with you for doing it (cuz that's not GOD) BUT if you're one who wants to grow spiritually and have a better relationship with your creator then it's just something one should turn away from.

jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 8:04 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• It is used in both Old and New Testaments. In the OT, it is said not to drink to excess. If drinking were in and of itself a sin, Jesus wouldn't have turned the water into wine at the wedding that time. This tells me that it's okay as long as you don't get drunk.

The things I see with getting drunk (I did it to see what was so "fun" about it) aren't very fun. I could turn in circles to get the dizzy feeling, and I never have liked getting sick. Both of those happen when I drink too much. JMO
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 8:07 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Lots of people eat as well, but over-eating is a sin. Overindulgence in anything is sin.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 8:07 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Well, most the things that are listed in the bible as "sin" are really just common sense no nos... This includes getting drunk, sleeping with someone elses wife, stealing... yadda yadda... And yes, lots of people "sin" according to the bible.

If you are someone that believes in sin (which I'm not) then you have to face the fact that you will eventually do it. Stub you toe and cuss or Run a red light or something but it will happen eventually. I think the entire point is for people to strive to be the best they can be. If you are generally a good person you'll be fine.

Drunkeness is another example of the all things in moderation rule. You can drink, don't get drunk. You can eat sweets but you have to eat your veggies. It's really just a good rule to live by no matter if you are doing it for a religious reason or not.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:08 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• In the bible I have read a story where people have gotten drunk. I don't personally think getting drunk is a sin unless it causes you to sin. Or you become a drunk and the alcohol becomes your life.Good question though. I always looked at drugs and alcohol as tools for the devil.It's pleasurable effects keep you from seeing the truth,and not doing things you know to be wrong.Also it distracts you from your purpose and wastes your life in every aspect. Just my opinion.
    Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 8:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Well, it does talk about drunkards not inheriting the kingdom of God, but then again, it talks about the liars, adulterers, fornicators, homosexuals, thiefs, and all the others. I think ALL of us could find ourselves on the list, so yes, I believe it is, but I don't believe theres anything that is beyond the forgiveness of God. Theres a reason he doesn't want us to do these things. Its for our own benefit. But its unlikely others will see that until theyve messed it all up. Thats usually how it works.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:38 PM on Mar. 14, 2009