At what age do u give your child a cell phone?

I gave my son one at 8.

Caramel824

Asked by Caramel824 at 8:04 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• my 9 and 11 year old has a cell that way i can know where they are when not at home also even if they are not hooked up you call still call 911 as long as theres a charged battery
    fristine

Answer by fristine at 8:08 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• 16
    Anonymous

• All of my kids (aged 12,11 & 9) have prepaid cell phones. They have come in very handy.
    DRL

Answer by DRL at 8:52 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• My daughter is 12...gave her one for christmas...prepaid also.
    momnc28341

Answer by momnc28341 at 9:38 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I think it depends on a lot of things. Will your child be at many extracurricular activities where a cell phone would come in handy? Do they walk to school or roam the neighborhood by themselves? Are they responsible enough to even own one? I think it all depends on the "need" and the ability of the child to not abuse the priviledge. I like the idea of those firefly cell phones for kids-where they can only contact emergency numbers and mom and dad. I think those would be a good option for very young children.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 10:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• 10 and 11 because of extra activities and walking home bythemselves
    jessicaof4

Answer by jessicaof4 at 11:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• When they can work and pay for it~
    lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 12:14 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I agreed with lilhoney until we had two really scary incidents. My dd has a cell on our family plan severely restricted. As in she physically can't use it when we don't want her to.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:54 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I think 12 is an appropriate age because normally that is when kids start to venture away from home by them selves. My nine year old grandson has one and with the way things are now adays of kids beating up other kids for their belongings I don't think it is a good idea for him to be carrying one around ..especially in school.
    nana2u10

Answer by nana2u10 at 4:09 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Darn! IDK know now...everyone has a good argument. I just know that my 10 yr. old son has no one to call except perhaps 911! I work at his school so I drive him to school and I know what is going on at the school and I do bus duty and see him get on the bus. But now I think well what if he needs help during the one block walk from the bus stop to home? I think I will recharge an old phone and tell him to call 911 if he needs to.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 4:36 AM on Mar. 15, 2009