In our town, the only kindergarten is fulltime. My son will be five in April of this year and he never attended preschool. Should I place him in a Pre-K program or go straight for the full day kindergarten>

LUVMYIRISHTWINS

Asked by LUVMYIRISHTWINS at 8:07 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It depends on your child. Do you think your child is ready for kindergarten? My son will also be 5 in april and did not attend prek but I taught him at home this whole year so he is right on track with what he's suppose to know going into school. It's really up to you but if your child knows colors, shapes, abc's, numbers, draws, uses scissors and is sociable with other children that it should be fine.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:18 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• that is too young for a child to be in full day school. (esp a boy- they mature later than girls)
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 9:19 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• As a preschool teacher, I agree with legalmommy101. If your child knows some pre-academic skills(like the ones she mentioned) and can socialize well with children his own age(share and take turns, etc) and also can attend to a teacher directed activitity while sitting for fairly long amounts of time(30 minutes or more), then send him on. I have known many parents who sent their kids on and regreted it, but I don't know anyone who has left them in pre-k for one more year and wished they had not. Kindergarten is so tough these days. It is now what we learned in first grade. Kids can do it, but they are often stressed out if they are not truly ready.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 10:55 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• my daughter started kindergarten this year. it is full day as well. she did not go to a pre-k program. she had never used scissors other then the time she cut hers and her sister's hair. she could not write her name she could spell it but could not write it. she thrives in school. absolutely loves it. her first report card she was basically in process or proficient in everything and now that her second report card has come out she is advanced in everything. i say do not hold your child back by placing him in a pre-k program. go ahead and register him in Kindergarten with kids his own age i am sure he will suprise you as my child has done.
    Disneymom1218

Answer by Disneymom1218 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• preschool is a life saver.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 5:58 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Was your child enrolled in any activity that allowed him to be separated from you for any length of time on a regular basis, such as tumbling, art class, dance, etc? If not, I would definitely recommend some kind of preschool first, he is a boy, and boys generally benefit from starting kindergarten a little later anyway. You don't want him to feel too much pressure being around kids who have been to preschool. Starting a little later than the others will not hurt him, only help him...
    grandmalinda707

Answer by grandmalinda707 at 4:05 PM on Mar. 18, 2009