Do your kids go to a 4 day a week school?

As a teacher I think it would be great. there was an article in the paper mentioning that our county might go to a 4 day a week school week to cut on various costs.

Do you like the 4 day a week? What's easier or harder?

charisma10

Asked by charisma10 at 8:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Love the idea. The less time my children are in the government institutions...the better.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• for me it wouldnt make a huge difference, but for parents who are working it would create more costs for daycare. that would be a problem for me. also, for me when i was a student, monday you were just getting back into the swing of things, and friday you were ready for the weekend. thus, tues - thurs. were the quality days. also, i dont think my daughter would like to go to school for longer days. there is not enough time as it is to do homework, eat dinner, get baths, ect. between after school and bedtime. making school longer for those days would make it harder to get those things done and still have quality time with the kids. also, i know the teachers at her school seem to have enough trouble fitting everything in, i can;t see how losing a day would help.

i could be wrong. it could work out to be great for kids, parents and teachers.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• As a teacher I think 4 day a week school is a terrible idea. I agree with the points made by the PP. Also, as a teacher I cannot stress enough that adding a couple of hours to the school day will NOT made up for one missed day of school a week. Students can't be expected to be productive in school for that long each day. They need a break.

It's been talked about here too, but what no one seems to mention is there is a federal guideline for 180 school days per year. School districts can't just decide to switch to 4 day weeks, it would take changes to the legislature to make that happen.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 8:43 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Or, following what MAUREEN55 says, they could keep the 180 school day rule (I'm a teacher too), but then with a 4 day a week schedule, the kids would be in school ALL YEAR.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 11:37 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• our school actually runs all year round.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 7:28 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I don't know. On a selfish level, I'd love it as a teacher, but I agree with Maureen.....it won't help the absentee issues. If the kid misses one day now, it will be harder. If the kid misses more than that......  I think it would be hard to keep attention and excited with and extra hour or more added to the day. It may be cost effective, but at what price? I also think the 180 days of school can be broken down by minutes per subject. We have that listing allotment to go by too. Who knows? I just don't think it would fix everything, and would only help financial aspects. The kids need us, and the fixing of debt does not consider their needs, the families, and so much more that isn't on paper.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:35 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• My five year old still only goes four days a week and its great because then you have a longer weekend to play instead of worrying about school the next day.
    DezerayStewart

Answer by DezerayStewart at 11:55 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• we will start going to school 4 days a week after xmas break this year!!!
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 5:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2009