how much independence do you allow for your pre-schooler?

my youngest is 4 and a half and I allow him to make his own sandwiches, no matter how nasty his ideas are, lol! If he sees I'm getting ready to bake something, He will pull up a chair and insist on cracking eggs and pouring sugar etc., And if he wants to use my clean pot and pans for " a cook out" I let him. I just want him to use his imagination and broaden his horizens.
Are you lenient? or controlling?

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 8:55 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm in the middle. I don't let my son make his own sandwiches or other food but he does help in the kitchen with mixing, pouring and helping load the dishwasher.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:00 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• i am probably controlling. i wish i wasnt though. i do let my step kids help with things though. i let them help me cook, do the dishes, etc. i have them get themselves dressed - i will help if they ask and i do not have to be doing something else. i dont let them make their own sandwiches because they would waste too much food and we are on a budget. i let my 8yr. sd pour herself drinks, but i like to be in the room because she has been known to get pop or something she isnt suppose to have. she is sneaky and deceptive at times and so i dont fully trust her. i know that is bad, but i know how she has behaved in the past and she has to earn my trust back.

i think it is great for kids to use their imaginations. i know when i was little i remember using like everything from the refrig and creating a very gross soup or dinner in a bucket and tyring to feed it to my mom lol.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:04 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I give him "zoopals" silverware to use for sandwiches so he doesn't cut himself and the knobs are off the stove in case he decided to actually cook
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 9:05 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I'm more lenient - he'll help make his own breakfast (I learned my lesson with the syrup, though), get his own snacks, drinks, etc., dress himself and I let him wear whatever he chooses. He knows he can always ask for help, but I encourage him to do it or get it himself. I don't worry about what he picks because pretty much everything in the fridge is healthy for him. He's made it very clear the he can do things by himself, so I'm just there to guide him or help him along when he's bitten off more than he can chew.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I tend to be more controlling. Everyone around here feeds him junk and if I let him get his own stuff all of the time he'd just make himself junk. I make his breakfast and lunches and stuff so I know he's getting healthy. Sometimes he gets to pick out his shirt or outfit, depending on the day, etc. but often I do it because he tends to like to wear the same 2 or 3 shirts over and over even though he's got a whole drawer full of choices. As he gets older and more mature I'll obviously allow him more choices and independence, but right now a lot of it is my choice.
    Anonymous