What are the letter sounds to be teaching a 3 year old.

Ok, kind of an involved and complex question. My fiancee is a truck driver and I take care of his 3 year old along with my 5 and 7 year old along with working a forty hour week. So being a "single" parent to three children, and raising a boy, when I have always had girls, I am not sure if the 3 year old is behind in speech or not. He can not use S's in words, nor R's, nor many other letters that both of my girls knew LONG before this age. What should I be teaching him and how do you teach a boy that is dead set on disobeying everything you tell him? Someone PLEASE help me!

kmeyer0829

Asked by kmeyer0829 at 9:01 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Check with your local library for classes that are for toddlers/kinder ages. Ours does a letter of the week type program. They focus on a letter/sound every week and at the end of the "year" they have a graduation party. Maybe if you get him invovled with other kids, he won't resist.

Dr. Seuse books are great for introducing phonetics. "Fox in Socks" is a hit with my two and four year old. When your little one gets to kinder/first grade, they will know if he needs to be evaluated for speech therapy. Don't worry too much over it. Boys tend to learn later than girls.
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 9:06 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• boys are slower in that arena usually.

find funny songs that use the sounds he needs to practice. no active boy wants to sit and make R and S soundsbecause he was told to.

use a lot of those sounds when you talk to him, emphasize those sounds by choosing games. foods , & toys that use those sounds. Make Bear Growls at each other, being snakes in the grass.-

I found it best to just repeat back that they said, correctly, instead of telling them they said it wrong.

so if they ask to play with the Superman Radio
    "can I play with the Thupehman Wadio?"

just say "Sure, you can play with the Superman Radio. Do you remember where you got the Superman Radio? Your Aunt Sue gave you that Superman Radio for Christmas."

Most children, esp boys, do not even have all the correct,mature mouth structure to ennunciate well until they are 5. "S" &"TH" can be difficult until the adult front teeth come in for lots of k
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 9:12 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Are you talking about learning the sounds of alphabet letters (B says Bu as in Butterfly) or are you talking about how he uses his sounds to speak? I think you are talking about how he uses the S and R sounds when he speaks. Children who are 3 should have the "p","b", "m", "f", sounds at least. They probably will have the "g","k" and others also. The "s" and "l" and "r" sounds may be used correctly by a three year old, but if they are not it is still ok. All speech sounds are acquired by a particular age and the sounds you mentioned are later developing sounds, at around age 7. Kiter is correct. You model the correct way to say it. Repetition and practice will help him also being around other kids his age who speak correctly will help.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 10:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Based on what the speech therapist has told me for my boys (ages 2 and 3) they should be able to make the p, b, l, s, r, k, f, g, st, sw, m, n, z sounds at the least. (the "th" sound comes later...closer to 7) They should also be able to make those sounds as the first, middle and last sounds in words, too.

Model the sounds correctly. Can he make the correct sounds by themselves? If so...then stretch the sound out in a word...."Do you want to play on the sssssssssseessssssssaw?" If he can't make the sounds by themselves...work with that first, and maybe talk to your fiance about having him evaluated for speech therapy (early intervention is key to helping kids!)

I don't believe it has anything at all to do with him being a boy, though. I know plenty of girls in speech therapy, too.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:23 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• My bachelors degree is in speech pathology and I know that if you brought him to our clinic, we would not make him eligible for speech if he did not have the "r" ,"s" sounds or the sw, st ,th blends. The rest of what ticcledblue has listed is correct. The best things to do is to take him for the evaluation just to know for sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• well all this talk that boys develope slower... my son was speaking sentences at 18 months and my second is 22 months and hardly says a thing. all kids are different. talk to your pediatrican if your unsure.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 5:54 PM on Mar. 15, 2009