Post C-SECTION 1 wk later

Does or did any1 else feel like having a c-section drastically effect/effected your mental state? I feel off my orbit!!!

MiMiBreezy

Asked by MiMiBreezy at 9:10 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes! I was "out of it" for about 3 weeks after I had my C-Section
    efmeador0709

Answer by efmeador0709 at 9:14 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• me too!
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 9:18 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• It's not just c sections, it's giving birth in general. Your hormones are out of wack and i'm sure the pain meds make you sleepy. I had a c section a month ago and I'm fine now!
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Between the c-section, hormones, no sleep, and worrying about the new little one its enough to make anyone not feel very with it. With both of my c-sections I felt weak for a few weeks until I healed more. Congrats on your new baby, and you will feel back to normal again soon. Good luck.
    tykay

Answer by tykay at 9:23 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• It was awful for me too. My scar was vertical because it was an emergency c-section and it opened up and got infected and it hurt like crazy. Plus yeah,the hormones were all weird but after a couple months it stopped hurting and was starting to heal, every now and then it gets itchy but that means it's healing.
    MommaCassE

Answer by MommaCassE at 10:05 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Yes, having a c-section can be very emotionally devastating. You might want to look into a support group. I bet there is one on here. They can help you understand why you feel the way you do.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 10:34 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I agree with legalmommy101 ... labor, birth and taking care of a newborn is a lot of work. Plus your body is all messed up. I would make sure you continually talk about your problems with someone.

Personally, it took me a LONG time to get over the fact that I had a csection. I was in total denial and felt cheated out of a vaginal birth, which is completely not true since the csection was necessary since my son was stuck in the birth canal! But now, over 9 months later, I am at peace with it.

Keep expressing your feelings, believe it or not, IT'S GOOD FOR YOU. And see your OB if the feelings get worse. They can prescribe a Post-Partum Depression medication to help you get through this crazy time.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 11:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I was fine after having to have an emergency c-section, because my little ones heart rate was dropping down into the 30s..it was really scary..I didn't get to be awake during the birth. After about 2wks my daughter was diagnosed with Full blown colic and screamed all day and all night until she was 9wks old. She has been put on all kind of formula and is now 16wks old and is finally on Neocate. So it has been very stressful, but all worth it. I was so stressed out about the whole c-section that I couldn't handle anything andI knew something was wrong. They diagnosed me with Post-Partum Depression and put me on meds right away and everything has been GREAT for almost 2months now. If you start thinking something is wrong tell your OB, because you don't want it to get out of hand. I didn't want to say anything to mine but they reassured me that it does happened to alot of women. Good Luck..
    proudmom89

Answer by proudmom89 at 12:19 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Oh, my first one was so awful. For one it was not the birth I wanted, so I was so incredibly disappointed. And I had gone through two days of labor, and then major surgery on top of that. And then I had this new baby to feed all night long when I needed to sleep for like a week to recover! And you just can't. I was never diagnosed with PPD but I probably should have been. My second c-section was planned and anticipated, so I had time to mentally and emotionally prepare, and it went much better, but I also felt more confident in my ability to take care of a newborn, etc. In any case it's 100% normal to feel off your rocker a week after any birth. Ask for help from friends and family because you need it. You're recovering from surgery! If you really feel down or have really negative thoughts just talk to your doc or midwife about it, because there's always help available. You're a good mom, you're doing great!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:49 AM on Mar. 15, 2009