Pushing our kids to much?

Are we starting to push our kids to much? I see so many moms that say their kids can count to 20, say their ABC's- recognize the letters/numbers, knows colors, is starting to practice writting their names. and more. Is this all to much? How much does your 2yo know? How much time to spend teaching them-and how have you taught them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Parents are hilarious to me that they compare what their 2 year old knows and what they can do. The other mother said it perfectly, about being the same by the time they are in kinder anyway, whether they learned their colors at two or three. Does it really matter??? My two year old is just where he should be ,and we read and I point things out to him and so on, etc. And no, he's not potty trained either, I am not starting till this summer. My 8 year old was three before he was. So, that is not a concern. I hate people who compare their little ones. It's ridiculous and SO WHAT!!
    txtykade

Answer by txtykade at 10:52 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• many reports all say that a child who was taught those things at 2 and child taught those things at 5 are ALL the SAME by 4th grade.

(and the 2 yr old missed out on very important games and playing that help with their sensory perception- it is important for a 2 yr old to have the freedom to play and just be a 2 yr old. kids who miss all that end up with sensory problems in school)
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 9:34 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• My son's 19 months and I'm not pushing him too much. I read to him and we count things, and point out colors and letters, but he hasn't picked up on a whole lot yet. It's ok, though, he's normal for his age and I'm not worried. I want to let him be a kid, there's enough to worry about when your a grown-up!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:34 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I think it depends on how it's done.

If you sit down and have lessons, if you drill your child and use flashcards, if your child has ever seen a workbook page - then yes, you are pushing too hard. These are horrible ways to teach a young child and have nothing to do with how preschoolers learn best. They also ignore all the other - frankly more important - things that little kids need to learn.

If you point out letters in everyday life, if you count steps for your child, if you keep it fun and part of everyday play, then your child will learn in a fun, natural way. Make a hopscotch board and have fun learning to jump while also learning letters or numbers. Have a purple finger paint day and have fun learning colors.

And yes, the increased pace in kindergarten and before is taking it's toll. Teachers are seeing kids burn out and hate school by mid-grade school. It used to be 8th and 9th grade.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:39 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• My daughter knows her shapes, colors, letters, the sounds they make, animals, the noises they make, numbers up to 13 (but can actually count...not just memorize the numbers), body parts, and can spell some words, however, she has no interest in potty training yet.(which some kids her age have already mastered or at least shown some interest in) I did not push her, it was all her. She loves to read. I think every kid is different. My daughter is the type of person that if she does not want to do something, she won't, but as soon as she is it only takes one time for her to get it.
    baboluchi56

Answer by baboluchi56 at 9:53 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Perfectly said kaycee. I count steps and read a lot to my kids and both have picked up many things (3.5 years and 21 months) beyond some other kids, but they are never "forced" to sit and learn. I simply point out colors and stuff while playing with them. I just started doing some workbook stuff with my oldest because he saw his older cousins doing homework and wanted to do it too. We practicing writing letters and numbers which he had already been doing while coloring himself any way.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:08 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I think just follow your child's cues and don't be too regimented. My daughter just doesn't like playing with toys that much, she really verbal and always wants to read so we decided why not start talking about letters and colors and stuff. It makes reading time more interesting for both of us. But I don't think she NEEDS those things right now, she's just interested. Definitely don't set absolute goals (she's going to know those numbers by 2) or start comparing your child to others of the same age. This is what creates problems, in my opinion. We skipped the Baby Einstein and toddler classes and she seems to be doing fine.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:09 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• funny how many people here are making sure they say exactly how young their child is and how much they know, even though they agree toddlers are often pushed too far & it doesn't matter how much 'scholastics' a 2 yr old knows. It's still comparing their child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Mar. 15, 2009