how can i put my one yr old on a schedule or routine????he wakes up easily and stays awake until 12 or 1 or even 2 in the morning im exhausteddd and he wants to play??????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It took me a while to get on a continuous schedule, but one way to get started is having breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the same time everyday. After that its naptime. Whether he or she is napping once or twice a day schedule a naptime at the same time. Either a couple hours after he wakes up then after lunch. No matter how much he cries, try to let him nap. Unless he screaming his head of go in and tell him "its nap time, ok, after naptime we can play" then put him back down. Then on the 3rd day its all about filling in the gaps with energizing activies. Dance to some music, draw, ROLL the ball in the house. I say "ROLL" because im still trying to get my toddler roll it. ha. This took me a while to get on schedule but just take it day by day. good luck.
    lovenverona

Answer by lovenverona at 9:49 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Get him up at the same time every morning.
    Get him into sunlight within 1 hour of that for at least 10 minutes.
    If he still takes 2 naps, get him down for his morning nap within 2 hours of waking.
    Get him down for his afternoon nap. The start time will vary based on if he took a morning nap and his natural temperment. My daughter takes hers at 11:30. Later is just too late for her.
    Have a set bedtime routine that you can stick with for the next 3 to 4 years. Ours is bath, jammies, dinner, teeth, stories, bed.
    Get him into bed no later than 12 hours before you want him up in the morning. For example, my daughter wakes at about 7:00 in the morning. She is in bed by 7:00 at night. Some nights earlier depending on how tired she is.

If he screams at sleeping times, what do you do? Rocking, singing, or getting him up to him teaches him that screaming gets him more time with you. So what do you do when he throws a fit?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:50 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• don't give him as many naps during the day, lay him down when you want his bedtime to be. of course he will fight it, but be firm. and don't let him sleep in too long either. i dont remember exactly how much sleep a baby his age should be getting, just make sure that he is getting that much.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:52 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Ours did that around 1 yr, (It's 2 a.m., can I watch Backyardigans 50 times?) Yeah, that was fun....LOL!, but we learned that he did this ALOT when he was teething, so if you give him something to relieve the pain, he could probably get to sleep comfortably. As far as a routine goes, keeping him up more during the day, no naps longer than 2 hrs, and especially getting him out of the house (stimulates him mentally & physically) he may wind down easier. Even if it's a trip to Wal-mart! We love Chuck E Cheese, he can run around, and you really don't need too many tokens at this age. (Attention span of a gnat!) Good luck to you!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:40 AM on Mar. 15, 2009