Breastfeeding for 6 weeks and then feeding breast milk through bottle...

ok so im going to breastfeed and i am still in school so i have been told that after my 6 weeks is up and i go back to school (which will only be for 3 weeks because school will then let out) i have to pump at school....my question is when i go back to school she will be bottle fed but with breastmilk. some people have said that i will need special bottles b/c she will not take regular nipples....is this true? what do i need to do? any ideas???

1-teen-mommy

Asked by 1-teen-mommy at 10:15 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no it's not true, I switched both my kids from breast to bottle just fine, and before that i breastfed and bottle fed back and forth, you can use any bottle I recommend though to get the smaller bottles, they are easier to fill.
    WhatevaItTakes

Answer by WhatevaItTakes at 10:24 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Most babies go back and forth between breast and bottle with little or no problems. If you want tome more info on which bottles may work better for a breastfed baby check out "Bottle Nipples that Minimize Nipple Confusion or Flow Preference"

http://lowmilksupply.org/nipples.shtml

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:34 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I bottle feed with breastmilk and I use born free bottles and they have a nipple that doesn't collapse and a vent system that prevents getting gas. my dd loves them. By the way if u are going back to school I would start pumping and freezing a supply so she can be fed while u are gone. Good luck and congratulations momma.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:01 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• You'll just want to buy bottles that have a wide nipple, so that she has to have a big open mouth when she eats. You want the wide nipples so that she continues to latch on to your breast correctly. We use the Playtex Ventiare Wide.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 11:21 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• one thought that helped me was to ensure you have nipples that are "slow flow" nipples ... other than that, any should be fine.. I have also heard it is good to introduce the bottle between 3-5 weeks so they do not refuse it. My 5 week old has taken just fine to bottle feeding w/my breast milk from time to time.. but does do better when the person feeding her is not me :)
    KellyJC

Answer by KellyJC at 3:33 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Every baby is different. Some will take a bottle easily, some won't.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:03 AM on Mar. 15, 2009