• In the Spotlight:

How can I get my daughter to drink?

She is having a battle with diarreah and refuses to drink anything! I tried Pedialyte, favorite juices, water... nothing! She was alos dx'd with a sinus infection yesterday and I cannot get her to take her meds! I got chewable tables thinking it would be better than drops but I cannot fool her by putting it in foods etc....! Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• TRY PUTTING THE PEDIALYTE IN ICE CUBE TRAYS OR MAKING A SEMI FROZEN "SLUSHY" MY KIDS THINK ARE HAVING ICE CREAM.
    NURSE_MOM_OF_2

Answer by NURSE_MOM_OF_2 at 10:25 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Try koolaid or gatorade. Pedialyte is gross so most of them won't drink it and if she becomes dehydrated, she will end up in the hospital. I would not normally advocate such sugary drinks for toddlers, but if she will drink it, it will help. The slushy thing is good advice, and popsicles might really help. I am sorry she is so sick. If she becomes lethargic and her eyes look sunken in and she is not peeing every few hours, take her to the ER.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 10:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Will she eat popsicles?
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:34 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I had this happen when my dd was 18 months. She sucked her thumb- so I filled a baby bottle with pedialyte and pulled her thumb out and popped the nipple in when she was sleeping.

I was so desperate, they wanted to keep her at the hospital because no one could get her to drink- the docs office actually got me the bottle.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:51 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• As far as the pills go, I'd see if you can get the pharmacy to switch them with the drops- at least those you can get in food.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:52 AM on Mar. 15, 2009