Are you a cutter?

I have been a cutter now going on 6 years. I have 1 child and do not want my son growing up seeing this. Why can't I just STOP?! I go 2-3 days without doing and promise myself it's over, but then something happens and I am at it again.

2 years ago I went to the ER, followed by inpatient mental institution because they all thought I was trying to do myself in. I wasn't. I got carried away with it that time.

I want to stop. I wear long sleeved shirts in 100 degree weather. I cannot keep a job to save my life. I feel so alone and am lost in this world.

The pain doesn't stop unless I cut myself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Health

• You should seek professional help. Do it for your son. I'll be praying for you. Good luck
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:41 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I cut for six years. The key to stopping is self control and self dicipline. I still get the urge to do it but learned to control that urge. If you need to talk, I'm here. Really, I know what it's like to do it. I wore long sleeves even after I stopped, but now I don't. If people see my scars and think different of me than piss on them. Seriously, talk to me or someone else about it, please.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 10:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• You don't need professional help they'll lock you up thinking you are suicidal and take the kid. You need support. Do you have a hubby or bf. Even a close friend or relative. I'm speaking as some one who was a cutter. The physical pain helps the emotional pain go away. So if you feel like you might cut call some one and have them come over or talk to them on the phone. This like any addiction can be helped if you want it the first step is admitting the problem your on the right track. There are also books that can help you. You need to also understand the addiction. This one you develope trying to excape pain. Than eventually you don't realize you are doing it half the time. If you need someone to talk to I'm here for you. Good luck I hoped I help a little at least.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:56 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I was. From the time I was 16 or so until about 3 years ago. I am 29 now. The last bad time I went a little overboard and cut too deep with a razerblade on my forearms. My dh was freaking, there was blood everywhere. I realized then that if I didn't stop I was going to end up hospitalized and jepordize loosing my kids. I did a couple times after that scratch my self on my legs a little, just to relieve some tension, but never enough to bleed anymore. I made a dr. appointment and was given an antidepressant which has really helped me. Not all dr.s will hospitalize for cutting. If they know what they are doing, they know you are not suicidal. Seek some help. For you kids. I am still on Lexapro and it helps me. If your afraid of being hospitalized, don't tell them about the cutting. Just tell them about the depression. See if a med will work for you. It has helped me greatly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I know how you feel,I used to cut until a couple of months ago and the way that I stopped was I got threatned to have my kids taken away from me unless I stopped incase I was a threat to them
    Aimee789135

Answer by Aimee789135 at 2:22 PM on Mar. 15, 2009