When did you start you LO on cereal?

When did you start your LO on cereal? What kind rice or oatmeal? How much?

jena2434

Asked by jena2434 at 10:51 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Rice cereal. 8 months. I started out with just a little and worked my way up.
    Anonymous

• I start my daughter on cereal at 3 months bc the formula just wasn't staying with her. We made it pretty thin and it was rice cereal. At first she just ate a couple spoon fulls so we always ended up with extra. A little bit goes a long way.
    theosgirl45

Answer by theosgirl45 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Talon is almost 5 months and he's starting now. we're feeding him about 4oz formula mixed with about 4 tbls of rice and mixed fruit cereal. he loves it! about twice a day
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 11:03 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• At 4 mons I started mine on rice cereal with a spoon, oatmeal at 5 or 6 mons (because it is thicker). Now she's 8 mons and i mix her cereal or oatmeal with a jar of stage 1 fruit.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:04 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• At 4 months we were told we could start feeding rice cereal. in the beginning we were told to make it very thin and then as he got a little older to thicken it up. At 6 months we introduced the other cereals and fruits and veggies. I still put a little bit of rice cereal in his bottle. It helps keep him full.
    amy068

Answer by amy068 at 1:02 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• at 1 month becuase the formula issue
    Mamaof2010

Answer by Mamaof2010 at 1:35 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Hi Jena, I'm planning on starting Meary on a little bit of rice cereal at 4 month (it's coming up!). I've been told that if she keeps in more than half what you put in, that she's ready for it, if not, give it a few weeks and try again :)
    OregonJeka

Answer by OregonJeka at 10:08 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• With my oldest, at 2 months. We used oatmeal and it was just a little to thicken his milk and to subside his reflux. My youngest hasn't had any yet.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:09 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Listen to the health experts and the research, not what other moms did. Virtually all health organizations say nothing but breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months.
    Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date.

Based on recent research, the AAP and other health organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (NOT the first 4-6 months).
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• My pediatrician suggested 6 months. My son will be 6 months in about a week and a half. We'll start with rice cereal then.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 4:09 PM on Mar. 15, 2009