how do you afford??

I think anything under 1 year is too young for day care. but if both parents work, what do you do? My husband and I both work and have been lucky till now, (almost 5months old), but soon baby may need to be in day care just because we have no one else in the area to watch him, and we can't afford for only one of us to be working. how does that happen? how do you stay at home till the baby is 4 without working? how can you afford it? I would LOVE to stay home with my child till then, those are the most precious and important years!!!

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 11:06 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you're going to have to pay for full-time daycare, it might end up that one of your salaries is just barely more than what daycare costs...I know that's how it is for a lot of people, who end up deciding that the few hundred dollars extra they make after paying for daycare just isn't worth it.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 11:18 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• You give up things. That's what we do.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:25 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• For us if I had gone back to work all I would have been doing is paying for daycare so why go and do something that I'm going to end up having to pay for me to work. My husband works at sonic as a manager and doesnt make big buck but makes enough for us to make it. Yes we cut it close and dont always get to go do what we want when we want but thats something we knew we would be giving up having a baby anyways. Our son always has what he needs and we will do with out before he does. Luckily we havent had to yet.
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 11:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Figure out what your salary would be and include wear and tear on the car you would drive, cost of clothes for you for work, any other costs that would be added to your budget if you went back to work. Add all that up and then figure out how much daycare would cost. See if there is a big difference one way or another. That should help you decide whether or not it's practical for you to go back to work.
    Andrewsmom70

Answer by Andrewsmom70 at 12:00 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• you just do what you need to do. You cut corners where necessary such as some peoples unthinkables such as paid Television services down grade or eliminate your internet stop mag suscriptions and news papers etc.

Once upon a time I was a working mom with 2 kids in child care I started a semi full time job when my 2 dd was 1y old I worked from noon till 8pm mid February through mid November my husband was able to get our kids from DC about 4 hrs after I droped them off and that worked for us but to tell you the truth not being there for bed time was so hard on me but I had the mornings with them and 3 months every winter.

When we ttc #3 we ended up with triplets and I didnt return to work and we are actualy putting more money in savings now then we did when I was working and paying all the random expenses like clothes and such for work we also cook from sratch more.

I bet many 2 income families could make it on one
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 12:08 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I completely agree. I would do anything to stay at home with me 3 1/2 month old son. I hate being away from him five days a week, but I dont have any choice. I had to go back to work when he was 6 weeks. And its hard on me. I have lucked out though. With mine and my boyfriends scheduals we only need a sitter about 2 or3 days a week and our family has been extremely helpful with free babysitting. I cannot aford a daycare even with us both working fulltime. I wish I could stay home.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:10 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I am single, no child support, and share a house with others so rent and bills are cheaper.

being a couple with an average american household evidently is not energy efficient, so I avoid that equation. I bike, greywater, garden, reuse and upcycle like there's no tomorrow... because if I didn't, there probably wouldn't be any tomorrows for us here.
    HollyLucination

Answer by HollyLucination at 2:36 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• my dh works 2 jobs. i stay home with the kids. once they start school, i will get a job. we dont have tv, a car, or anything like that. we dont eat hardly, except mac and cheese. you do what you have to to be able to survive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• my kids eat great, btw.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• cut back on things, we looked into it and in all reality had i gone back to work with a 4 year old and a 9 month old now, i literally wold have brought hoime 15.00. After paying for childcare. not worth it when you factor in work clothes, gas, time off for sick kids etc...

HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 9:15 AM on Mar. 15, 2009