how do you afford???

I think anything under 1 year is too young for day care. but if both parents work, what do you do? My husband and I both work and have been lucky till now, (almost 5months old), but soon baby may need to be in day care just because we have no one else in the area to watch him, and we can't afford for only one of us to be working. how does that happen? how do you stay at home till the baby is 4 without working? how can you afford it? I would LOVE to stay home with my child till then, those are the most precious and important years!!!

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 11:06 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We started getting the Sunday paper and I clip coupons every Sunday, and always shop sales. We live modestly. We have a 2br apartment that isn't a lot of space, but enough for us. We don't eat out very often at all and when we do, we share meals or go somewhere inexpensive. We get baby clothes 2nd hand from friends and family. I make most everything from scratch because it costs less, tastes better, and is more nutritious. We go on free outings rather than paying a lot of money (park, museum on the 1st Sunday of the month as it's free here, library story time, etc.)
    We don't have cable or a landline. We have one car. We don't use credit cards.
    There are a lot of ways to save money.
    Check out this website for some good ideas, there are plenty of ways to cut back so you can afford to stay home. http://www.drlaura.com/sah/budget.html
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 12:15 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Well, we cut WAY back. You don't need to cook a full lb of ground beef for 4, yet I used to do it every night. We never ate leftovers.

What you do is, make a game out of trying to save money. If you have a yard, plant a garden. You can eat fresh veggies all summer long for less than a hundred bucks. (it's high for us because DH insists on renting a tiller, you could actually do it for less than fifty.

I work PART TIME now, and it's been a god-send. I get out of the house three nights, and one AM every week, and the babes go to Grandma's one night and the other time they are with hubby. I get a bit of mad money and out time, and the girls get daddy one on one time.

Learn to love freecycle.org. People offer kids clothes and toys and furniture all the time for free. sign up for a chapter near you. Don't forget to offer some things you don't want!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:45 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• We didn't think we could afford for me to be home, but we've been doing it for 2 years now. Is it easy? No! But it's worth it! We are down to one vehicle, no car payments. We had 2 paid off vehicles but the transmission went on my van, so we're doing without. I plan our meals by what is on sale, for example, this week pk chops and spaghetti. We eat out rarely. We got rid of cable channels we didn't NEED,we try to be frugal so I can be home. We have no debt, we don't make new debt. For instance my dishwasher quit,so I am washing dishes until I save up for a new dishwasher! And I'm a freecycle member..........it's worth the effort it takes! They grow so fast!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 11:21 AM on Mar. 15, 2009