how do you afford???

I think anything under 1 year is too young for day care. but if both parents work, what do you do? My husband and I both work and have been lucky till now, (almost 5months old), but soon baby may need to be in day care just because we have no one else in the area to watch him, and we can't afford for only one of us to be working. how does that happen? how do you stay at home till the baby is 4 without working? how can you afford it? I would LOVE to stay home with my child till then, those are the most precious and important years!!!

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 11:07 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am a sahm and have been for almost five yrs, it was tough while my husband had a couple crappy jobs but I had heard such horrors about the day cares here so I stayed home and now my husband is a miner and he makes enough so I can be home with the children and we can still live comfortably. Sometimes it was hard but I just couldn't imagine not being with them.
    Anonymous

• When our oldest was born I had to work and our daughter had to go to daycare. Hubby was only an E-4 at the time and wasn't making a lot of money. But, when he started moving up in rank I was able to quit my job and go to school and stay home with our daughter. Now we have 2 daughters and he makes more than enough and I'm still able to stay home with our kiddos. When we go back to the states I'll get a job (my youngest will be in 1st grade by then).
    Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 11:15 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I stayed home with my son for the first year just to be with him and then started looking for a job when he was 1. I soon found out that I would be working just to put him in daycare so it wasn't worth it. I started my own home business selling on ebay and also went back to college (online). I ended up making more money than my husband and paid for my college education as well. There are ways to make ends meet and still stay home you just have to look really hard. A couple of times a month before my son was 1 I worked nights so that I could be at home with him during the day.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:18 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• It's really hard. There are many sacrifices that you have to make like getting your hair done, going out to dinner, etc. VERY worth it!!! After a year or so, I couldn't take it and I started a home business which I had intended for it to provide us with spending money.....it turns out, I am making more then I had expected and I get to be at home too!
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 11:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• My friend does a nanny share-- she works part time, and the nanny takes over on the days she works. The nanny spends the other days with her other family.

I plan to find a daycare close to my job so that I can pop in and feed or just check in. I'm heavy into research, so I will be doing a check on all the daycares in the area such as licensure, complaints, reviews, references, etc.

Do a cost/benefit analysis. What are you going to be paying for daycare vs. bringing home? Is there anything you can cut from your budget? Could you do a job share with a colleague?
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I have always been a SAHM. my kids are 12, 14, 15 and I still am a SAHM. we homeschool. (which is why I am not out working while they are 'in school')

There are luxuries that have been 'sacrificed' and choices have been made. But it can usually be done.

not only will you save money on daycare, you will probably eat out less, use less gas, and maybe save on clothings even- by staying home.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 12:51 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I mean quite leterally, that we would not be able to afford it. if just one of us worked, rent and bills would not be met. good for you other moms though, that's so great you could be there for your kids
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 1:45 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• My husband and I have worked opposite shifts 80% of the time that we have had children. my oldest is 9. Briefly for about 9 months my oldest 2 were in daycare. You just learn to cut everything out extra when that happens. Right now I am lucky and I WAH and stay at home. But I am unlucky because my hours are 3 am to 11 am. Even if I went back to first shift working hours, my hubby is here a lot during the day to help out.
    upintrees

Answer by upintrees at 6:50 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I always worked at least part-time. My kids now 9,6,& 3. My hubby had to get another job so I can go PT. We counted ALL our receipts for 2 months to really see where our money is going. We stopped cable, lowered our cell phone bill, stopped landline, no eating out, no coffee at DD. WE really just stopped everything! IT was super tough and I'm not gonna lie to you I resented it. BUT there was no way I could afford daycare! So we had no choice. In the grand scheme of things it was for about 4 years that we did this...until they were all in school. Now I'm back to work 4 days a week and we have been able to "live" just a bit.
    Have you thought of (not sure what you do for a living) working in a preschool/daycare so you'll be actually bringing in dough and have you child there with you? This is what a friend of mine did. Wish you lots of luck!
    OGGI

Answer by OGGI at 9:55 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I had only planned to be a SAHM for my sons first six months then send him to daycare while I went back to work. Well I then found out I was pregnant with our second and decided to be a full time SAHM mom. Which turned out to be a good choice cuz numbers 3 and 4 weren't too far behind. If it weren't for my husbands wonderful job and his support we wouldn't have been able to do. Granted there are sacrafices that have to be made but I know that it is my babies best interest.
    apattinson

Answer by apattinson at 5:17 PM on Mar. 15, 2009