This is a two part question...

Do you understand why Jesus spoke in parables to teach main lessons? Also do you understand what they mean?

Alize26

Asked by Alize26 at 11:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• A parable can be a teaching tool or just a story depending on who is listening to it. Jesus had all sorts of people come listen to him. Some were ready to hear his words and follow him, others not. Those who were "in tune" to the spirit heard his parables and learned something from them as how to live thier lives. Others who were not ready for the message just heard a "story". I'd be farily confident in saying that I understand a good amount of the parables and what they mean. (don't go putting me on the spot now!) LOL!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 11:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• No, why don't you tell us since that is the point of this question anyway.
    Anonymous

• No I want to know from others who have read the Bible. Honestly.
    Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 11:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Also, the parables were easy to identify with because he always used familar "characters" and circumstances.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 11:48 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• In the words of Jack Nicholson "You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!!" I think that's why he spoke in parables. Those who were listening to him were not mature enough to handle the complete truth. Like sunday school teachers teaching the story of Joshua and the battle of Jericho, they stop short of telling the little ones how the Israelite army slaughtered everything living inside the city--including the unborn, infants, and children just like them. Jesus stopped short of the whole truth, disguising it in parables.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:05 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Umm the bible tells why He spoke in parables. :-) I am not gonna repost the entire passage but it is in the gospels. Matthew 13
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:45 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• What Shaneagle777 said! As for understanding their meanings, which ones?
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:11 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Parables was just his way of teaching so we can comprehend and get the message,all of his followers didn't have degrees.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 8:34 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• parables were just Jesus' way of talking to their understanding, just like when we teach math to a five yo we start with something simple and as they grow and can comprehend more, we teach them harder stuff... and yeah I love the parables.. they are pretty amazing:) I love the parable about the one lost sheep...it's my favorite!
    TippyD

Answer by TippyD at 11:13 AM on Mar. 15, 2009