Which states have "Castle Doctrine" laws and which still say you have the "duty to retreat"? Which means you have to run from your home in the face of an armed intruder if you can.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Map here.  The red states are safe, however, not all castle doctrine states are gun friendly.  In some of them you'll have to beat them to death with a bookend or a 5 iron when they break in.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:47 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• In some of them you'll have to beat them to death with a bookend or a 5 iron when they break in.

Ain't that a bi*ch?
    Anonymous

• Ugh!
    Colorado has a law nicknamed the "Make My Day" law which means if someone gives you reason on your property, you are WELL within your rights to shoot them, beat them with a shovel, anything.
    Sooo, that map isn't totally right. It has Colorado as red, and I can tell you for a fact that you have every right there to stay in and defend your property... by whatever means you deem necessary. Colorado is actually pretty lenient.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 11:57 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• North Carolina, here. According to the above map, I can kill an intruder if I want!

To be honest, if someone were breaking into my home - I'd do whatever it took to protect my daughter, Castle Doctrine or no. I guess I'd act first, deal with the consequences later.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:59 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Wait, RanaAurora....did I look at that map incorrectly? I thought the red states were "make my day" states....?
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:00 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I took it to mean you CAN defend your home if it IS red.... which would mean that Colorado should be red in that case. Actually I think ALL states should have that law. If some fool thug breaks into my home, he better expect any kind of hell I can pull down on his head to protect my children and myself. And yeah, make my day would be the least of it, let me tell you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• It has Colorado as red

Red = Castle Doctrine
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:03 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• They are Duster Tn is one of them.If some breaks into your home here you have the right to use whatever means of force ness. including bullets.
    Now I couldn't go outside at someone just on my land though and I wouldn't unless they were armed and ready to shoot at me.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:04 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• well i don't care which states are and are not red.... if someone breaks into my house, i am going to protect it and my family by any means needed.... i am in GA and its red...but if it wasnt that wouldnt stop me :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I have two sweet little girls. Some idiot breaks into my house he's leaving without his hoo-hah that's for sure.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:28 AM on Mar. 15, 2009