What's wrong with traditional marriage?

I don't understand why so many women on here are opposed to their husbands being the head of the household... and I'm sick of being called a doormat!! Lol.

Sahminky

Asked by Sahminky at 11:29 PM on Mar. 14, 2009 in Relationships

• I don't think anything is wrong with a traditional marriage infact most things in our house are done in the traditional way.
    MrsDeputy

Answer by MrsDeputy at 11:33 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• What defines traditional marriage? Where does it state that tradition marriage only consists of the man being the head of the household and what does that mean exactly? Your definition of tradition marriage obviously varies from other people's definitions. There is nothing wrong with how your marriage is set up but thinking that a traditional marriage is only suppose to be a certain way is incorrect thinking. :)

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I don't know you and your situation but, I've seen a lot of people against it because for thousands of years its patriarchal design has been used and abused to take advantage of & control women limiting thier options and oppressing them.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 11:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I'm a stay at home mom for a very long time with kids still home, hs through college, 3 kids. My husband himself used to demand that he be the head of the house because some one had to be and it should be the man. Well hell no. We don't get along any better personally but financially we both make decisions now and there we're better. My husband was taught by his family and believed still by his father being the last oldest inlaw and my own mother agrees that men should rule the home. Bull shit. My mother's outa bounds stickin her mouth in my business - I don't ask her for advice and for some time she doesn't give it. My inlaws, my fatherinlaw, he makes it known when asked that men shouldn't be treated poorly by their wives. We get along very well actually because if he's not asked he minds his own business and my mother's nose goes in a different direction, her breathing changes if she hears me give hubby m thots.
    Anonymous

• I define the husband being the head of the household as traditional because that's the way it has been for centuries until the past 50-60 years
    Sahminky

Answer by Sahminky at 11:37 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• Anon, why should men be treated poorly by their wives?? (I'm just asking this because of the comment about your father in law)

I'm sure you don't think women should be treated poorly by their husbands... ?
    Sahminky

Answer by Sahminky at 11:41 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• The definition of traditional marriage is open to suggestion, really. I view traditional marriage as a marriage between a woman and man. Doesn't have anything to do with who is head of the household in my view.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:43 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• "Traditionally," the bride was sold to her husband, usually at a very young age, with no ability to voice her choice, if she even had time to have one.
    "Traditionally," the man could "discipline" his wife if she crossed the line, often using a stick the width of his thumb..hence the "rule of thumb."
    "Traditionally," the bride's worth was her virginity, which was often "verified", and which was symbolized by her white wedding dress.

So tell me-- did your father pay a dowry to get rid of you? Did your father also select your husband for you? Does your husband "discipline" you? And were you inspected before your marriage to authenticate your virginity.

You're probably thinking the above is asinine. As do I. Therefore, I generally do not follow the guidelines, historic or otherwise, of a traditional marriage. Instead, we choose to follow our own path. Some of it "traditional"-- I am married after all.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:44 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I dont see anything wrong with it...but I like making the decisions too.
    summerm

Answer by summerm at 11:49 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• I am speaking from a Christian perspective. I think that too many Christian women focus on the submission part. If you read Ephesians chapter 5 verses 21-26 it describes the roles in marriage. If you look the husband has a greater responsibility. He is to love his wife in the same way Christ loved the church. That means he must be willing to give up his life for his wife. He is to care for her as Christ cares for believers. That is he must put her first, then his kids then only then himself. I'll take submission over that role.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:54 PM on Mar. 14, 2009