pain killers and pregnancy

So when I first signed up for this website I had just lost my mom who was giving me oxycottin and the 15's. I was addicted and didn't know what to do. I tried getting off but didn't have insurance and I have a baby boy so couldn't go into a treatment center. anyway I tried to just go cold turkey off the pills and couldn't do it. I couldn't handle the pain and withdrawls. well like 2 of my mom's old friends were on them and started selling and giving them to me. I've still been taking them sence before octber. I just found out im preagnant (like today) by taking 4 at home tests that were all positive. And I have no fucking clue what to do. I really need help. I was just getting my insurance straight and was going to get into a pain doctor before I found out I was pregnant. Please if anyone has any advise I could really use it!! Thank you for taking the time to read this!!

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I have alot of pain issues myself .Talk to your ob and see what they can do for you . I have never been addicted to pain killers but I used to smoke and gave it up cold turkey when I found out Iwas preggers . It was hard butI did it . Good luck

Answer by angeleyesm at 6:53 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• You cannot continue to take those pills and be pregnant. Something bad will happen, I can promise you that.. It sucks and I see you are basically addicted but you will have to stop if you want to keep your baby. If you are not ready then you should consider abortion. I know that's a really really touchy subject for alot of people, but honestly you have to think of the child... You don't want it to grow up sick, or physically or mentally challenged, or have a mom that can't give it all it needs because she's addicted to pills. So if you want to be a good mom then you have to stop. Period. You can take tylenol while you are pregnant.

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Hi, I feel for you! I have been there, unfortunatly I have had problems as well, but there is good news! Oxycontin is a very hardcore pain killer and the withdrawls are unbareable I am sure. You can go to a methadone clinic while you are pregnant and get help (first off) trying to get off the pills and it is harmless to your baby. Second you will need to get on some kind of program, classes, and spend time with people that are clean. The addiction itself is hard to get over but the mental part of trying to stay away is even harder. Hopefully after you have done those things you may try to live a better healthier life, and once your baby is born you can look at her and smile and know that you have something better to live for. Good luck and much love to you!

Answer by cassiefuller at 9:39 AM on Sep. 22, 2008

• I was addicted to oxycontin as well and had just started going to a methadone clinic. I was there for about weeks when I found out that I was pregnant. I stayed with the clinic the whole pregnancy and am still with them now and my DD will be 2 soon. I do know that if you get medical assistance it will help pay for your treatment.
    I had a friend with Cronns disease and she was on oxycontin all throughout her prenancy and her baby was fine. When she was born I do know that they kept a close watch on her for a few days to make sure that the baby didn't go through any withdrawels.

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2008

• CONT
    When my DD was born she was in the nicu for 2 weeks with withdrawls from the methadone. They had to put her on morphine. She made it through and is so smart and healthy now. I have heard of other babies being born and having withdrawls and then having sezuires.
    When I found out that I was pregnant I wanted to start getting off of the methadone so I wasn't on it when she was born but they assured me that is was super rare for the baby to have withdrawls or be sick but I guess my baby wasn't in that catogory. To this day I still feel bad but I thought I was doing the right thing at the time. My mother was addicted to them and she got me started on them too.

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2008

• CONT
    Don't go off and get an abortion like the above woman said. I would go to a clinic and talk to someone there about it. I do know that you could start on a very low dose of methadone if you wanted and then gradually come off of it before she was born so there wouldnt be any side effects.

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Sep. 23, 2008

• There are very specific constraints on weaning off of methadone while pregnant because it can cause miscarriage. You can go to This is the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration Facility locator, this will help you locate a clinic in your area. Good luck

• I've been addicted to opiates since I was 15 years name it...I found out I was pregnant at 17 and I really wanted this baby I didnt want to have an ABORTION definatly not.. so I did alot of research about methadone because a friend of mine told me about my opitions..needless to say I was put on the methadone and my daugther was born full term, healthy as could be! She weighed 7 pounds 12 oz... sadly part of the methadone treatment is your child after being born will have to be usually put on phenabarbatal and another medication called "D.T.O" but I knwo its very hard to go through but My daughter did amazing, she was out of there in a month and shes healthy as ever and has no problems with anything..shes smart as a 4 year old and shes only 2 almost 3 in really if you a mom addicted to drugs ANY DRUG...You should talk to other the end it's way better for your unborn child

Answer by BrianasMyLife at 2:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2009