Are You Dreading "the Talk"?

My step-daughter is going to be a teen tomorrow. And my husband keeps saying he feels weird cuz he's going to have to talk to her about sex. Are you dreading the same thing, feeling confident about it, or just going to avoid it??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Well they learned that in school early :( Or at least my SD did.

I am the one who bought her her first bras, did the period copeing thing etc. We have told her since she was about 12 a simplified version of why i'ts important to wait. Basicallly how she would be robbing herself and her future husband of a special bond, and that God wants us to wait not for HIM but for our own sake. We did talk about stds and bc etc. We are christians and we do believe plan B is a potential abortion pill, since you can't know if an egg is fertilzed when you take it and it can destory a non implanted yet fertilized egg. We talked a bit about the compliations sex and even dating causes you when you start to young, using my own life as an example of course :( How her life as an adult can be so much better.

con't.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 1:40 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• IMO. the talk should have already taken place. At that age, I'm sure some kids she goes to school with are already having sex.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• She's only 13.. DUH she knows how it's done.. but she doesn't know all the feelings and mumbo jumbo involved.. and I seriously doubt her 12 year old friends are having sex.. What kind of kids have you been around? Maybe you should check their parents..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I have to say, I agree with the Anons on this one. She most likely knows all about sex already. I know I did. Kids were talking about it as young as 7and 8 years old when I was in school (and that was 15+ some years ago, who knows what it's like now!). After hearing about it from friends, I read about sex in the "s" encyclopedia at school (I was almost 9). My mom decided to wait until I got my period (age 11) to tell me about sex and was shocked that I probably knew more than she did lol.

Is there a woman that can do it instead? If my dad attempted to talk to me about sex as a teen, I probably would have puked (I'm being honest here). It is important to start talking about sex even before the tween years. It's better they hear information from you rather than misinformation from friends.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:17 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I agree at 13 she probably knows way more than you think she knows unless she has been raised in a bubble. Also "the talk" is not a one time thing, sex and all that goes along with it should be something you talk to your kids about at "teachable moments" early and often. There are different levels of age appropriate sex ed and working into it is better than an all at once laying it all out one time lecture.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:52 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• My FIL has this song, that he sings to all the kids when they get old enough , its so hilarious.
    Anonymous

• My kids just ask me when they are curious. I've never had " the talk " with them. We just approach it as the questions arise. I do agree with the other post, my daughter is your daughter's age and she asked me what c*m was last week and so I explained. I do try to keep the lines of communication open with them. I would rather her hear the truth from me, because these kids are pretty wide open in their sexual conversations.
    serene1

Answer by serene1 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I SAID in the second answer there.. thats me.. I know that she knows the physical part. HOW IT HAPPENS all that stuff, she wasn in SEX ED! What we want to talk to her about is why it is important to wait. The feelings she may be having about it. The way boys REALLY are inside their head. I'm not some idiot that thinks my daughter has no idea whats going on. But her 12 year old friends are NOT having sex. My daughter is way better than that, and we talk all the time about what friends are worth her time, and how uncool she will look if she hangs out with those girls. My daughter has a good head on her shoulders. So Don't tell ME that my daughter is probably already having sex, because SHE'S NOT!
    Anonymous

• Hon, no one told you your daughter was already having sex, what was said was some kids she goes to school with probably are. Please, do not ask for advice if you don't want the truth.

((and with a mom who blows up like you, don't be suprised when she starts and your the last to know!!!))
    KimSanAntonio

Answer by KimSanAntonio at 2:06 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I think im prepared for it but that's only because i have to wait another 5-6 years before my child turns 12-13. Take it one step at a time and find out what her friends are like. They tell you alot about a person.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 2:13 PM on Mar. 15, 2009