What does a child need to know to be ready to move on to 1st grade?

My friend has a son the same age as my daughter. His teacher told her that he is not ready to move on to first grade because he can't read or even sound out words.

So my question is what does he actually have to know to move on? The teacher wants to hold him back. I know there was a minimum that my daughter had to know last year to move on.

Anyone know? TIA

palexander

Asked by palexander at 12:11 AM on Mar. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• They need to recognize letters and know the sounds of those letters. They need to know their sight words(each school is different) . They need to know how to write those letters and they also need to know how to write out a word by the sound(becos=because) (rit=write). They need to recognize numbers . I think this sight will help:

www.starfall.com

Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 6:39 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Go to your local school district website. A lot of times they will have the curriculum posted for each grade.

Here they have to recognize, sound and write all the letters, know sight words, recognize and count, shapes, colors and there is a maturity level that should be reached as well.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:42 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Students?curriculum

This site will tell you the typical course of study for every grade.  I homeschool and actually print these out for myself.  As we go through the year, I check off everything we've done to help keep myself on track.

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:51 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• oh we do starfall here at my house too and they also use it in class my daughter is in kindergarten and lot of her homework is printedout form starfall. WE LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Disneymom1218

Answer by Disneymom1218 at 3:47 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• It depends on the school. My son had to be able to read level one books, count to 100 and beyond. Do simple math 1+1, 2+2 etc... He had to be able to pass 8 sight word tests there were 8 words in each test. There were other things as well. Check with the school for thier standards.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Since Kindergarten isn't required in every state, I don't know how they can hold him back. Many children don't start school until 1st grade, and they don't require pre-testing for 1st grade here.

IMO, kindergarten should be in pre-reading stage. Not all kids learn to read that early. I had one reading at 5, the other at 7.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• This isn't something that can be answered on a national level. What is required varies from district to district. For example, my son's school still considers learning to read a 1st grade core curriculum component. Kindergartner's were required to know the alphabet and be comfortable with some letter sounds. The glut of 1st grade work has been phonics/blending and site words. While the same may be true in other places, it is not true for all places.

Your friend really needs to consult her districts curriculum plans. Many districts will publish their grade-level competencies and expectations on their web sites. That's a good starting point. She should also ask the teacher to clarify what is expected by year end, how far off her son is and what course of action does she (teacher in concert with parents) plan to take in order to bring the child up to speed before the end of the year.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:42 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• my daughter who is a first grader, had to (still working on some of this) per her teacher-
    counting by 1's, 2's, 3s, 4s, 5s, 6s, 7s, 8s, 9s, 10's to 100. Need to be at least be able to sound out words, know alphabet and letters. Know how to write.
    defiantpromises

Answer by defiantpromises at 12:16 AM on Mar. 22, 2009