do you try and put your new born on a sched?

i know it may not work, but do you have a sched that you do certain things at? feed, put down for nap etc??

i mean of course if they are hungry othen than at their sched time oyu feed them, but do you try and keep a sched so that they are used to one in the future? or when did you start a sched for your child??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Mar. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• NO SCHEDULE AT LEAST UNTILL 1 -1 1/2 YEAH THATS ABOUT RIGHT
    ashleystoner86

Answer by ashleystoner86 at 12:34 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• No. It's difficult to try and force a newborn on a schedule. What to Expect the First Year, along with other help books and articles recommend waiting until a baby is a few months old before starting a schedule. I allowed my son to eat and sleep on demand until I discovered his natural rhythm of things that he prefered. After taking note of the times he usually liked to sleep and eat, I created a "schedule" of encouraging him to do those things at those same times of day until he fell into his own schedule. He started sleeping through the night at 6 weeks. It's better to go with the flow with an infant than try to force something upon them. They they have a need, they have a need...fulfill it, don't wait until it's the "scheduled time."
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:37 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• im going to Attempt somewhat a schedule only becuase i have 2 other little ones that are on a schedule but i know it may not work.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:14 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• mine was put on a schedule at 5months
    Mamaof2010

Answer by Mamaof2010 at 1:48 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• of course he did it on his own
    Mamaof2010

Answer by Mamaof2010 at 1:49 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Newborns shouldn't be put on a schedule, but you'll see after not too long, that they are on their own schedule. My son at least by 2 months was usually going down for naps and nursing around the same times. When he's teething or trying to master a skill, his schedule gets off beat for a little bit, but other than that he's been pretty consistent. He's 9 months and I still don't force him to follow any schedule, I just go with the flow watching what he needs. I know for a lot of moms, that's difficult because they like things on a schedule, so if that's you, just wait a few months to impose the schedule on your little one.
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 2:34 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• nope. feed on demand, sleep on demand. Putting a newborn on a schedule can be very detrimental and cause failure to thrive. Newborns can't be trained. they don't have memory.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:20 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Having an infant is an 'on demand' job..

You may think they have settled into a schedule then BAM.. it changes again.. Good luck!
    StarMommy77

Answer by StarMommy77 at 6:11 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I do it allll on demand. DD is 16 months and I still judge her nap time by her signs of sleepiness. USually she's ready for a nap by noon, but sometimes she needs one at 10a. Ive never put her on a rigorous schedule. Sure, we do most things at the same time (eating, naptime, errands, etc) but I have always followed her cues to find that time, especially when she was a newborn.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:05 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• i never put my newborn on a schedule but she made her own after a few months
    lmaines22

Answer by lmaines22 at 12:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2009