When can you let a newborn sleep in their own room?

I have a two week old baby and I haven't been able to leave my makeshift nursery ( the living room) since she was born. I have to bottle feed my breast milk to her so being close to the kitchen really helps also my hubby works long shifts and needs his sleep. The problem for me is I find it really lonely at night being alone downstairs and really want to move her to the nursery but find it nervewracking as hell having her alone in her room at this age. Is this appropriate?

Liv32

Asked by Liv32 at 12:52 AM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, it's not abnormal.. but don't ask that question too loudly around here or you will have moms advising you to do this stupid thing called co-sleeping. You are doing a good thing by trying. It is far better for the baby and yourself to learn how to sleep independent of each other. It's perfectly normal for your baby to sleep in her own room. I know you are lonely, but please keep on trying to get her into the nursery.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• i agree w pp..do things when You feel comfortable..there is no certain age .
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:12 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• NO.....HaVE YOU heard of sids ....put the crib in your room....i didnt put my son in his room untill up to 3 weeks ago and hes will be 2 the 28th of this month...now my 4month old is in my room
    Mamaof2010

Answer by Mamaof2010 at 1:14 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• its not wrong at all. I was the same way we used to live in a bottom story appartment and the nursery was on the opposite side of the appartment. I started by putting my son in his crib that was in our bedroom and when he would wake up 5 min later we would be stuck in the living room my husband works alot and gets cranky when he doesnt sleep enough anyways, he would eat and burp then i would put him in his playpen then slowly i moved the crib into the nursery and started putting him there it was more scary for me than him. And now 3 months later he refuses to sleep with me or my husband unless it is naptime then he wont let go of us...lol. just keep at it you will get used to it
    writingafwife

Answer by writingafwife at 1:15 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• You can leave whenever you feel comfortable....I dnt know about you but with my first I was up every minute checking breathing...OMG I went nuts. About a month after she was born my SWEET SWEET hubby found this baby monitor called Bebe Sounds Anglecare Movement Sensor it is like a regular baby monitor ONLY you put a movment pad under baby's mattress and it will sound off if NO movement / breathing is detected, It was the BEST money ever spent.
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 1:19 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• If SIDS is going to happen, it will happen. There is no use in driving yourself crazy. I'm pretty sure that they have discovered that there is a problem with the brainstem in these babies that die of SIDS. If you have made sure that there is no way possible for your baby to suffocate, and there is proper circulation of air in your baby's room, then just relax. We all love our babies, but being crazy every moment of the day isn't helping them. I know that I am no better. I was a psycho for her first 6 months, and maybe even still now. Just do what you can, but don't obsess about it!! Before you know it, your baby will be 1 and getting into EVERYTHING!!!!!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:06 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• It is okay to let her sleep in her crib. Believe me, you will hear her cry. Moms of newborn sleep VERY lightly.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:50 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I agree with dustbunny. You'll find that even if she is in another room, you'll be on alert so you can hear her cry, even when she's sleeping. It doesn't result in much sleep for you, but believe me....you'll be listening so hard you'll think you hear her hair grow LOL

The risk of SIDS doesn't increase just because you put her in another room away from you. It can happen with her in the same room.

If you've got good baby monitors, you should be fine. That, coupled with the fact that you've probably get up to check on her every five minutes anyways....yeah, she'll be just fine lol.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:52 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Just follow the SIDS recommendations and then DON"T worry about it or you'll lose out on the precious little sleep a new mom can get. The reason lots of moms use bassinets in their rooms is because they find it more convenient. It's not for safety. Monitors or no monitors, you will hear your baby cry. With our first daughter my husband and I alternated getting her in the night so we both heard her. Now with our second because of his job I'm mostly responding to her in the night so I hear her and my husband doesn't. It's amazing how our senses are in tune to that. Anyway, it's not too early. I had a friend who wanted to cosleep and she just couldn't because every tiny sound woke her up and worried her. WHen she moved her baby to her own crib in her own room she was able to hear just when she was needed, but wasn't awoken when her baby just grumbled in her sleep.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:21 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• A baby should not sleep alone in a room until they are at least 6 months old. It is recommended that your baby shares a room with you for at least
    the first 6 months as this has a protective effect against SIDS.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2009