how do I get my 5 year old nephew to understand my 3 month old isnt a toy

Im reposting this cuz it wouldn't let me edit it. My mom watches my son then she will pass him off to my sister so she can go get her hair or nails done. My sister doesn't watch her own son who is the typical 5 year old boy who hits everything. I've told my mom not to let my sister watch him but she insists that my son needs to learn to interact with older children and my nephew needs to learn to be near babies. I agree they both need to learn to interacted with others but how do I get him to stop being so violent besides the usual now hayden don't hit its not nice, cuz that is so not working, all i can do is tell him to stop because my mother insists that my nephew doesn't know what he is doing is wrong even though i've told him a thousand times it is. And it isnt as simple as don't let him go over there we live together for now. My husband is deployed and im staying with them until he gets back.

writingafwife

Asked by writingafwife at 2:51 AM on Mar. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You're in a rough spot. I would hope that if I had a concern that my MIL and sister would be supportive and respectful of my concerns instead of writing me off. "Older"-little kids do not always understand how to handle a baby. I could tell you 100 horror stories about "accidents" involving older and younger siblings because the parents weren't watching from working in the ER but I won't. Your sister needs to see your side in this and as the mother of your nephew, she will be instrumental in helping your nephew act more gently towards your son. I would lay it out for her "if he hurts my son on accident, he'd have to live his life knowing he hurt him. Is that something you want your 5 year old to go through? Or do you want to work with me on helping him learn to be more gentle?" Does she really understand the gravity of what could happen to a shaken baby or a baby that was pushed too far physically. She's not thinking.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:06 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Show him HOW to touch your baby and HOW to play with your baby. When he's doing it, catch him and then redirect him to the right way. Just be consistant and he will learn.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 2:55 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• spank him
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 5:38 PM on Mar. 15, 2009