13 month old having a barum inema

My son's dr has scheduled him to see a GI Specialist to have a barum inema. I'm a little worried! Has anyone else gone through this with a baby this age? I've personally had 3 in my lifetime but I was much older! Please someone ease my mind that I'm not the only mom that is going through this! He has been impacted and they have given him lactulose and now miralax but he can't get it out! He strains ans screams when he finally does go! It's miserable!

KevinsMommy0201

Asked by KevinsMommy0201 at 2:51 AM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Health

• a warm bath could help! Choclate maybe,tea also no dairy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:03 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I know you must be so worried. Apple juice and prune juice always worked for us. But if he is that constipated I do not know if that would get him to go. DId the dr offer any suggestions until you see the other dr. I would call the oncall dr. today and see if there is anything to take OTC until you make that appt. Avoid white flour as in bread etc. When the crisis is over, email me and I can give you more info on how to keep this from happening agin. Mary

jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 9:09 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• My preemie son had one when he was 4 days old because he wouldn't pass his meconium.

Have you tried taking your child's temperature rectally? Sometimes, they need that little extra stimulation. Diluted prune juice can help, too.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 4:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2009