A book question for Wiccans/witches?? Or maybe even pagans???

I have been noticing unfortunate references to *evil witches* and the like- I am sure you unfortunately also know what I mean- in way too many of the admittedly elderly library of books at my children's school. How upset does this make you? I remove the offensive abjective (evil, wicked etc) when and if I can- but the picture is usually (also) mean/nasty. It makes me mad- and I am *only* an atheist, not a *witch*!! What can/should I do?! As a parent and classroom volunteer... Am I getting *all fired up!!* over nothing?

mtnmama111

Asked by mtnmama111 at 3:36 AM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I guess I'm an odd ball on this manner. As a Pagan I don't have a problem with witches in story books portrayed as evil. I understand where that character came from as a historical development against strong and independent woman. For me the evil witch character is not about religion but about domination and subjugation of woman by demonizing our strengths. It's easy enough for me to teach my daughter that not all is as it appears and that she needs to look deeper to see the truth in the matter. I'm also one of those Pagans who love to have the witch smacked into the tree set up for Halloween. And I don't have a problem playing the evil Witch for Halloween as it plays upon social perceptions. How can the witch be evil when your getting candy from her and leaving with the feeling of accomplishment of conquering fear? lol Evil is in the heart, not in green skin, warts and a pointy hat.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:36 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Yes because witches are bad!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Oh hush anon.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:43 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I am not sure if you are getting all fired up over nothing or not, if this is about books like Grimms fairy tales then I think you might be.
    But if this is actually about books that are centered around evil witches then I think the best idea would be to talk to the principal are explain your feelings. Especially if the school has made other changes for other religious belief systems.
    My son is not in school yet, but I know I already have a fight on my hands because they have changed Halloween into "orange and black day" in many of the schools where I am. It is not "orange and black day" that makes me upset it is the reasoning behind it. They changed the day because it's pagan roots offended many parents.
    In some cases you just really need to pick your battles.
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 3:43 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I think you are doing the right thing by substituting nicer words in place of the bad ones.  I don't think I as a parent would ask that any book be removed from any library.  Some of us Pagan Witches do get upset over the negative pictures but we have to educate from a noncombative stand point.  We mostly try to present ourselves as everyday people and show how we do care about everyone not just our own kind.  And when asked what we believe we can present it in a more relaxed way.  Trust me we have come a long way. At least we have others seeing the things that offend us. When not long ago we could not even discuss these things any where now we are able.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:49 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Thank you pnwmom I think I have been a tad strident lol about my atheism online- but IRL I am much as you describe. There are not too many minority groups it is still *okay* to pick on- but I think we both qualify!! LOL
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 3:57 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• You betcha.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:07 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I think all you can do is what you are doing. Substitute mean words for kinder ones.

For me, if its a story thats obviously created as entertainment then I dont stress about it. If its supposed to be historical or have some history to it,etc then I might be put off.

I think all anyone can do to counteract years of rottenness is live by example and correct when possible. Use kind words, tell the kids what really happens when reading or asked about certain things, those kinds of things.

Kudos to you!
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 11:59 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I think that's very sweet of you, ignore anon, they are always hateful losers that are normally better suited for those story books that witches, lol... hey maybe they should put a big blue circle with a white question mark in the middle in place of all the witches that they unjudgely procescute.

but honestly.. I find it sad that they do it.. the best things do to, is to try to find books like wizard of oz.. that protrays both a good and evil witch, so they know not all are evil, that they are people too. Or similar stories to that.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Unfortunately, as a Pagan, it's something we're used to. Does it suck? Absolutely. Do I get annoyed that it's okay for someone to have a dead witch in their front yard on Halloween, but we couldn't do the same with their religious figure without probably having our house attacked? Yep! It's double-standards.
    The most we can do is educate others... and unfortunately, if I recommended some Pagan-friendly kids' books, you'd have the close-minded jerks like the first anonymous there throwing a fit... despite the fact that all the book would be about was respect for the earth and it's creatures.
    *sigh* Anyway, it sucks, yes, and anything you do is appreciated.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 3:13 PM on Mar. 15, 2009