When are people gonna learn that snakes and kids don't go well together???

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,509172,00.html

I have seen stories just like this one (and even worse) WAY too many times!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:08 AM on Mar. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• Tomorrow, I reckon.

Ever seen Snakes on a Plane? Chick with nice tits gets bitten..on the tit. Ouch!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:09 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Yea.. stories like this do not mean children can't have snakes. You realize that only negative stories get published right? *I* grew up around reptiles, we had snakes my friends had snakes and surprisingly no one was ever bitten lol. Parents need to teach children how to care for animals, all animals, and research any animal before getting one. It's like the whole pitbull issue too. Just stupid fear mongering based on ignorance.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:19 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Like anything else some intelligence needs to be used. My daughter grew up handling snakes all the time. Mostly ball pythons (very docile and about 6 feet long max) or pine snakes (about the same size). I would not have poisonous or very large snakes around young children. Even adults have been injured or killed by their large pet snakes - usually reticulated pythons. People don't pay attention when they purchase a baby snake - they need to know how big it is going to get, what kind of containment they are going to need and how to feed it. If they are not prepared to do what is necessary for it to be safe, they should not own one. An partially grown reticulated python will see a small child as food and could react accordingly. Once wrapped around prey in earnest, a strong adult will not be strong enough to unwrap a grown reticulated python. The snake would need to be killed for it to unwind.
    dottieanna29

Answer by dottieanna29 at 10:58 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Snakes and other reptiles can be great pets for the age appropriate responsible child. It depends on the type of snake, and the responsibilty of the owner. I wouldn't suggest them for anyone with a baby or toddler just because of the fact that reptiles carry samonela and I personally would not chance it. Please don't call me ignorant or jump all over me but I don't agree that it's exactly the same as the pit bull issue. I witnessed a pit bull that was owned by people who did all the right things snap on my friend and maul him. It's hard for me to agree after seeing something like that and being there. I guess out of fear I just don't trust them anymore. I don't think Timmy's little cornsnake is gonna go postal on me after owning him for ten years. The video is just an example of things that could happen, not nececarrily what will happen to everyone that owns a snake as a pet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I personally am petrified of snakes and i definatly don't belive in having them around small children. It could have killed that young boy and what would have happened then. Sorry i know everone has they're own views and opinions but this is mine.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 2:17 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• When are people gonna learn that sometimes adults are just stupid? The problem wasn't the snake...the problem was the idiot parents that allowed the kid to get so close to the snake. The story didn't say how the snake got to the kid but obviously it wasn't in a proper tank. I happen to own 2 snakes...there are pics of them on my profile...there may even be a few pics in there of my boys handling them. My snakes aren't big pythons like the one in the story. ( We had a larger crossbreed once but my dh was the only one allowed to handle him. ) My snakes have their own tanks and those tanks are locked...the keys secured away from the children. The snakes come out only when conditions are right and the kids know the rules...handle carefully, no loud noises, no sudden movements and the 3yr old is NOT allowed to touch! (as someone else said...salmonella) Then hands are washed right away.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 2:06 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Snakes and other reptiles can make good pets and they are very interesting to have around. Our snakes are famous...they have made many trips to our sons' schools for multiple science classes...the kids always get a kick out of this! LOL! But they require a great deal of knowledge on proper care and they require a great commitment. They can live a long time...sometimes 20yrs or more...and when they need vet care, it can get expensive. There is only one vet that practices herpatology medicine in my entire city. He's expensive but necessary if I want to keep my snakes healthy. The problem with the parents in this story is they view the snake as some sort of 'badge' or something. Lots of people gets snakes to make themselves look 'tough' or 'bad-ass'...this is the wrong reason to have snakes. I'm sorry this happened...but the blame lies with the parents...not the snake.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 2:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I have a lot of snakes......25 the last time I counted. I have 7 burmese pythons alone, 6 ball pythons, 9 redtail boas, 2 brazillian rainbow boas and one chocolate king snake. I also have a 22 month old dd, and an 8 and 9 yr old step dd's. All my kids hold the snakes, not any of the large ones, but a few of the redtails are babies and so are the balls.
    Again this is something that is more the parents blame than anything. None of the large snakes come out with the children anywhere near them, especially my 22 month old, and they ALL know the rules when it comes to being around them. It is sad to hear about children being bitten or killed, but if people had any common sense a lot of these accidents wouldn't occur.
    heatherbug82

Answer by heatherbug82 at 3:11 AM on Mar. 31, 2009