PYLORIC STENOSIS - Operation sucess???

2 week child has been Projectile Vommiting approx 1 every 24 hr over the past week, when we say projectile he was lying on his back in his moses basket and its gone up in the air over the side of the basket.
We have taken him to the doctors who has requested that we go for a scan to rule out PYLORIC STENOSIS as he THOUGHT he could feel a small lump but couldnt be 100% certain. We are waiting for an Urgent referal to see what happens, the colour of the sick is yellow and the baby has a lot of Wind and gets in distress over this, the baby is breastfed also. With regard to breast feeding my wife is struggling this time due to exessive milk flow and he is feeding off the end of the nippel as oppsed to fully latching on and he is feeding little and often. Could this just be Reflux or something similar?how dangerous is the operation, otherwise he is perfectly healthy. How easy do babies die under anesthetic

Please help

JulieStones

Asked by JulieStones at 4:30 AM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hi just wanted you to know that I had a baby 26 years ago with pyloric stenosis and today is a strapping fireman
    It was diagnosed early in his case all the same symptoms as you are having but vomitting much more often
    It was a simple surgery then probably more simple now
    i just kept a good eye on him and kept telling the docs that i fed him constantly and he seemed to keep very little down
    it was very stressful until they got a diagnosis and it was early so with an xray they found it though that was not a fun process either
    good luck i am sure it will all turn out fine
    you know your baby
    jakesnana

Answer by jakesnana at 8:18 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• My first was colicky and projectile vomited all the time....untill he was 3 months old. I also breast fed exclusively and due to excess milk he did alot of nipple feeding. improper latch can cause alot of swallowed air. Assure your wife that her body will ajust to the proper milk flow so please don't give it up. We went through all the tests, tried all the meds, even did some really crazy hippy stuff to try to help out our son who seemed miserable all the time. It was nothing in the end. Just had to out grow it. His pyloric valve is just so small it couldn't keep milk down with the burps. I wouldn't worry too much just yet. We went through hell with him. He cried constantly for 4 months, but I wouldn't change it for the world...
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 9:45 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• My son had pyloric stenosis. He had surgery at 17 days old, and it was the scariest experience ever for me. I remember just losing it at the ER, where they told me he would be transferred to a hospital with a better pediatric unit for surgery. Everyone (doctors, nurses, the EMS team that transferred us) kept telling us that pyloric stenosis is very common, especially in first born boys and that he would be fine. He came through the surgery well, and at 7 months, you wouldn't know he had the surgery. Chances are your baby will be fine, and he'll come through great! You can PM if you want to talk more. Good luck!
    happymom0724

Answer by happymom0724 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Hi. My son had pyloric stenosis and went through the surgery. He was 3 weeks old when it was diagnosed and had the surgery. At first it started out as normal spit up then it increased with a lot of vomiting (it lasted 2 weeks until we took him to the ER). The second week it turned into projectile vomiting (after every feeding). We fed him, vomited, and wanted more after that. We could hear his stomach growling badly since he couldn't keep anything in. We did try giving him pedialyte but that only worked for 3 days and after that he started to vomit the pedialyte. Deep down inside I knew this wasn't normal and that we should take him to the ER. We called his doctor and also went to the doctor and he believed it was a stomach virus. But that night we called the nurse hotline and they suggested taking him to the ER and so we did. They asked us a lot of questions and they said it might be pyloric stenosis.
    ixadorexpink

Answer by ixadorexpink at 10:36 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• But in order to be sure that they would do an ultrasound on him. They explained that if he did have pyloric stenosis he would have to go through surgery in order to eat right again. They did the ultrasound and found that he did have pyloric stenosis. I was so scared because my baby had to have surgery at 3 weeks. They made us sign papers saying that we could not hold anyone at the hospital responsible if something were to happen to our baby. The pediatric surgeon said that giving a baby anesthesia this young is dangerous but that this surgery is very common especially in first born boys. It also run in families (my brother had this surgery when he was 3 weeks old). He explained there could be death, breathing problems, etc. Well, my baby did have a breathing problem after surgery but they took him to the NICU to be monitored often. He got out of the hospital after 4 days and he's doing good now.
    ixadorexpink

Answer by ixadorexpink at 10:41 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• He will be 3 months this Wednesday. Oh yeah I forgot they stay in the hospital for a long time because they need to see his is taking in his formula or breastmilk and not throwing it back up. It is normal for them to throw up the first day but that is why they stary at 1 oz. and work themselves up to whatever you were feeding him. They also put an IV in the baby so he can get liquids (so he won't get dehydrated from all the vomiting he has been doing). If you have anymore questions you can message me. That was my experience with pyloric stenosis...it wasn't to scare you.
    ixadorexpink

Answer by ixadorexpink at 10:44 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Make sure you are doing everything you can about the fast milk flow. Go to: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:23 PM on Mar. 15, 2009