At what age do you think siblings of the opposite sex should stop bathing together?

A friend has a nine year old son who she lets take a bath with the 17 month old sister. Do you think this is appropriate. I have told her that I believe he is to old and even at the young age is prone to have erections. Am I wrong?

nana2u10

Asked by nana2u10 at 4:32 AM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think by the time they are 3 or 4 it's time to bathe them separately. The 9 year old is not going to be aroused by his sister bathing with him, though he could get an erection from the water or from being washed etc. He needs to develop boundaries though, and bathroom privacy is one of the first boundaries.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I think I'd bath my nine year old separate, but I doubt he's going to be sexually aroused by his toddler sister. Plus he probably sees her getting her diaper changed, running around naked, etc. all the time.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:40 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• IF he is exposed to it and knows what it is or has been sexually molested then maybe. But he's a child. I agree with toriandgrace to say that he's probably seen his sister before b/c she is little and the mom is in the same room so she can see anything that is going on. It really depends on the child, if he is still very innocent then it's fine, but if he's been exposed to anything and is too curious then that's when it needs to stop. I've seen 9 year olds who seem like they are more like 13 and I've seen 9 year olds who still seem like they are 5 (in their innocent character I mean)
    jennmdlc

Answer by jennmdlc at 5:19 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I think 9 is too old for a shared bath even one one is a toddler. My 3 year old tries to get in the tub with her brother but we tell him too lock the door. To me an older child should have his privacy.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:06 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• That's way too old. I think that once a child is old enough to know the difference in boy/girl then they should bathe alone.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 2:11 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• By the time the oldest is 5 years old. 9 years old is way too old to be bathing with a sibling.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• 9 should be bathing on his own.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:32 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Ok it might be slightly inappropiate but he's not gonna get aroused from having a bath with his baby sister and if he did then I would be so very worried
    Aimee789135

Answer by Aimee789135 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Why does it matter? If the 9 y/o is ok with it, it shouldn't matter.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 5:16 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• My twins, boy and girl stopped bathing together when they turn 5.
    I do feel bad for the that 9-year old, he should be bathing on his own. He is not a baby anymore.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 6:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2009