HELP..!!

My 3 1/2 month old still sleeps with me & dad how can i break this before it get's worse,without making him cry himself to sleep like everyone keep's telling me to do????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:21 AM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Rock him to sleep in your arms, and then place him in the basinet near you so he can still hear you. Later, transition to one of those bears designed with the heartbeat sound in it.

Co-sleeping with a 3 1/2 month old can be very dangerous, and deaths result with this. They had one on the news recently in our area. The mom had rolled over in her sleep, and didn't wake up when she'd pulled the cover over the baby so tightly the baby couldn't breathe.

A few days of crying is worth it to have a healtier life with your child, and for you and your husband who can get some deeper sleep now. Keep the monitor nearby, so you can hear his every little move, and you'll rest better hearing it.
    sizesmith

Answer by sizesmith at 5:35 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• No matter what you do the baby will cry its how they communicate. Either you let the baby cry while you put him in the crib(or bassinet next to you) and not in the bed with you or you hear the baby cry and whin when he gets older and you had enough of the co sleeping. Either way its only for a little while, they are QUICK learners...its harder on you TRUST me and not so hard on them just confusing but like I said they learn..just be patient.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:29 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Babies cry...there's no way to prevent it.

If you want him to start sleeping in his own bed, then you're going to have to start putting him in his own bed. Try letting him sleep in the room with you, or get a co-sleeper that attaches to your bed. You could try rocking him to sleep then putting him in his own bed, but one of two problems is going to devlop from that (trust me):

1) He'll wake up as soon as you put him down, and/or
    2) He'll become dependent on you to rock him to sleep, won't learn to self soothe, then you'll be asking the same question again in a few months.

Personally, I'd rather deal with a few days of crying versus dealing with this problem 9 months down to road because you couldn't stand to hear him cry. But that's just me.

Maybe other ladies have some other suggestions for you.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:38 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Pre-warm his bed with a heating pad that you remove before putting him in- check that it didn't get too hot before putting him in bed. Lay him in the bed and rub his tummy gently- the physical contact is still there, and your presence. Soothe him until he falls asleep. You can cut back on the soothing time once he is use to being in his own bed.

Answer by Bmat at 9:04 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Generally, cosleeping does not = death. So first, don't get all worried about that. It can happen if you don't practice safe co sleeping, but is very uncommon otherwise. I can't tell you how to get out of that habit, because I don't know myself... but as long as you are practicing safe co sleeping, the risk of death is lower then that of even SIDS.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:34 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• One thing you could try is a swaddle blanket with velcro. I know it's kind of old to start that, but that's how we finally got our daughter to be comfortable in her own space. For us it was at 8 week that it worked. She woke herself up with her arms and hands all the time. She used the swaddler until 6 months. And after moving her to her crib she actually slept a lot better than she did in our bed. Not because we were letting her cry or anything, I think she was just sensitive to our presence. We all slept better, in fact.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:43 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Give the baby a routine. Same thing every day, ending with him/her being placed into his/her bed, bassinett, crib, whatever. After a few nights (especially at that young age) he/she will be fine. My 'bab' is 2 now, he started out sleeping with us, then we moved him to his crib. Now he knows our bed is for cuddling and his crib is for sleeping!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 11:08 AM on Mar. 15, 2009