Allgery medicine for DS???

Is there any OTC allergy medicine for a 14month old. My DH and I have been having bad allergies and he has the same symptoms, we took Claritin and symptoms are gone.

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:15 AM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nothing. Call the pedi
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:57 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• My son had bad allergies when he was that age I would use Benadryl. Hy is Ear Nose and Throat doctor had me wash his tearducks once a day with Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo. Its tear free and want burn his eyes at all. I saw a huge difference in his allergies,and I still use that method today.
    FTBALLMOF2BOYS

Answer by FTBALLMOF2BOYS at 8:19 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Nothing is approved for that young, but the doctor may recommend something. I would say use saline or breastmilk in the nose to help with the nasal stuff if nothing else.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:14 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I would contact your pediatrician, and have them refer you to an allergist. I wouldn't take the chance on an OTC allergy medicine for a 14 month old. In fact MOST OTC medicines say to contact your doctor first before giving to a child under 2 years of age.

At 14 months old, how do you even know what he is allergic too? It's not pollen season yet, so it could be something in your home...fabrics, mold, dust, cigarette smoke, etc. Could even be that your son as asthma, a sinus infection, an ear infection, etc.

Point is, you should never assume, or administer a scaled down portion of any OTC medicine to a young child. While symptoms MIGHT look the same, in reality it could be something totally unrelated.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:23 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Our pedi approved children's Benadryl and children's Zyrtec for my son. You'll have to call your pedi, though, for dosing (based on weight, so know that before you call).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:00 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• My dd is 18 months and pedi has her on Claritan. That young though they had to give me specific dosing instructions for her age and weight, so Iwouldn't just go buy it but ask her Dr first so you don't over dose her. But after that appointment I have just been buying OTC.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 1:02 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• There are meds he can take, but you'll need to call his ped for suggestions and dosing. I just went through this with my 21 month old. I called his allergist who gave me a couple options. That way, if the first one doesn't work, we have a back up. We're trialing Claritin right now, but he'll likely wind up on Zyrtec as the Claritin isn't making much difference.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 11:46 PM on Mar. 20, 2009