ya i know its early on sunday

my nephew came over yesterday for my birthday...he was extremly pale.wouldnt eat a thing.had cake and ice cream his father said he wouldnt eat it didnt even offer it to him .we had a platter didnt even offer that to him.so the father and i were taking and i got out of the conversation that this child was socially inept.didnt like to play with other kids and kept to himself.his sister (who was also very thin)would do things like sports and the boy would follow but once he failed that was it he gave up.he had very dark circles under his eyes like he was malnutrioned...my daughters and i were very concerned.please dont say its none of my business cause this is my nephew and clearly there is something wrong...he was also very quiet and woudnt interact with anyone..

snowmom974

Asked by snowmom974 at 7:57 AM on Mar. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• if there were anyway to get him alone i would talke to him. if not if its as bad as you say i would call cys.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:04 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Has the father taken the boy to the doctor?? That should be the number one question,if not i would get him there asap you never know if that is a medical issue.And if the father hasn't what in the hell is he waiting on!!! ? And you have every right to stick your nose in it family or not. Talk more to the father a little more and if he hasn't taken the boy to the doctor convience him to take him,and if he refuses call children services and get them involved, I don't like calling them but if a child's well being is at stake then I would. Best of Luck and I hope that he gets to feeling better. Please keep us informed on this.

FTBALLMOF2BOYS

Answer by FTBALLMOF2BOYS at 8:07 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Is the boy on medication? My DS takes a med that absolutely wipes out his appetite and he doesn't eat all day. How old is the child? Is he old enough to explain why he's not eating? Perhaps he's a picky eater and didn't like what you had to eat! (situations I'm all too familiar with!) I'd try to get to the bottom of this before I involved an outside source.

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:23 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• well she said his father didnt even offer him any food while they were there sounds strange to me.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:28 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Something definitely sounds "off" I would talk to the father and say that you are concerned and base your next move on his reaction.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:32 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• the inlaws say dont get involved...dont do anything.but i just cant sit back and not do anything this is a child...and no i dont think he is on any medication...his skin was that pasty grey color like you would see on a really old person it was really sad.i was thinking of calling the school. the father did seem concerned.but the mother didnt seem to care at all. what was that all about???
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 9:07 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Sounds neglectful at best, abusive at worst. You have to do something. Who doesn't offer their child something to eat? My son never eats either, but we offer him food. He drinks a lot of milk. When I say never eats, I mean is sooooo darn picky, but daily he consumes food, just not what we'd like him to. You need to get involved. If something were to happen to the boy, how could you justify your worries and NOT doing anything? Can you invite him for a sleep over and try to get info. from him or see how he behaves? You can call protective services and leave a report anonymously. He does not should totally socially inept if he is trying the sports. It sounds like a lack of confidence and support to continue when he does not do well. He could just be a child who needs help and the parents aren't getting it. Food is a priority so don't ignore this!!!!!
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:19 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• There is abuse going on 100% don't wait, do something
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• ya we offered him a glass of milk and the father said he only drinks water...
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 9:39 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I'd call and leave myself anon. That is ridiculous. And he goes to school? Aren't the teachers noticing this? Does he eat lunch there?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:44 AM on Mar. 15, 2009