Would you restrict how much.....

your child ate? I saw a post where a mom was restricting how much food her child was eating and then washing the child's mouth out with soap because the little kid was lying about it. Do you restrict how much your child eats during the day? I do not, but they sure don't eat crap all day.

lapcounter

Asked by lapcounter at 9:42 AM on Mar. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• I restrict from junk foods..... but she can eat veggies & fruits all day... we also limit unhealthy drinks..

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:42 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I guess this would depend on many things. The age of the child, whether or not the child is overweight, what the child is eating, and so on.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:47 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I do not restrict what my son eats, but he does not eat junk food and he is a naturally think kid. If he had a weight issue and was eating for comfort I would be careful about his intake and exercise, but I would not be a food nazi or wash his mouth out with soap!! That is sad that a mother is doing that rather than trying to help her child with his/her issues with food. :(
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:48 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I guess I do in a way. They are not allowed to eat all day long, and I do decide what and when they eat most of the time. Of course I dont deny them food. If they tell me they are hungry I use my best judgement.

But if I had a child that struggled with weight I would be a bit more cautious. But to wash a childs mouth out with soap for eating and lying about it is strange. To me, that is NOT how you teach a child good eating habits. Poor kid.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:53 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• My kids only eat what I give them unless I give them permission to get themselves something specific from the kitchen. They know to ask first.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I didn't restrict them from eating..But I didn't allow them to eat all day long either.

Answer by louise2 at 10:31 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Answered at 9:54 AM on Mar. 15, 2009 by: ReneeK3

My kids only eat what I give them unless I give them permission to get themselves something specific from the kitchen. They know to ask first

Same here.
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 10:35 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I don't restrict all junk food, I feel if you do they are going to want it more... So when they have snacks thru the day the first one has to be a healthy snack and then the afternoon snack can be something like a small bag of cookies... I don't allow soda, or sugary drinks in the house, if they have something it has to be milk, diet V8 splash, or water and I always keep sugar free lemonade in the frig. As for breakfast, lunch and supper, they only eat small portions, I don't allow them to eat until they are stuffed...I tell them to eat until they aren't hungry anymore.....
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 11:11 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Mine is on the little side. I don't restrict how much she gets but I don't let her have any crap either. She is 8 mos and tried a goldfish for the first time and then preferred her fruit over the snack. She will learn to ask before going to get snacks, but I like the fact the she prefers fruits and veggies.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:12 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I restrict a bit....I mean I'd rather they have a piece of fruit rather than a third pancake, and there are times when I will cut them off...when I know they ate quickly and already had seconds...I don't want them to puke.

They don't eat a perfect diet, but it's not a ton of junk, either.

I agree with the poster who said it depends on the age and weight of the kid.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:40 AM on Mar. 15, 2009