Scrapbooking

I'm going to Michaels today to start off on a scrapbooking venture. What are the basics I need to get started? A scrapbook (are these like photo albums w/ the clear plastic covers and you just add sheets of your finished pages to them?) - Do you prefer one kind over another?

Do you usually get full packages of paper or single sheets? Anything else I should look for?

Thanks for any help!!

swrockhead

Asked by swrockhead at 9:49 AM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I get both packages and single sheets depending on my project. I do not know if Michaels sales these or not but they are called glue dots they are so awesome! They are not messy like glue sticks. It is easy to pick a few pics and decide what them to go with before you buy. Feel free to PM if you have anymore questions!

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 9:55 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Now they have amazing kits... I would get a kit that includes a lot of the stuff you'll need. Cardstock, patterned paper, embellishments and an album. You'll need adhesive..use acid-free items so they don't affect your precious photos. You may want to get some punches to add different elements to your design. Lastly, a paper trimmer to cut your paper to size. If you need any additional help I'm a click away!
    OGGI

Answer by OGGI at 10:19 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Michaels just reset their scrapbook paper so I would spend a little time checking out the new stuff. I prefer the books that you can add a expander set to (they sell those too). Be careful b/c this hobby is addictive and can get very expensive. This is coming from a michaels employee. I love to work there as well as shop there. Make sure you get your paper with a coupon in it. Good luck and have fun.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:07 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I buy both the paper stacks and single sheets, depending on what I am looking for. I use the ad tech glue runners for placing everything. Since this is your first trip, I would suggest take ur time and look through everything. I also would suggest a paper trimmer and a good pair of cutting scissors, so you can start working on your great layouts.
    lucandpepsmom

Answer by lucandpepsmom at 2:36 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• scrapbook.com join there, they are the biggest website for people who are interested in scrapbooking.. there is a newbies forum, and they can totally help you out... if you join, im sweetscrappin there... i love postbound albums.. mainly because sometimes i do two page layouts.. i am scrapbook teacher, and i also sell my work...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:52 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I normally get a package of paper.. most of these have extras with them as well, like stickers, and smaller peices to make borders with, etc. Stickers are always great to stock up on.. most of what you need is there.. so pick a theme you are going for in the book, and stick to it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:51 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Check online at the many scrapbooking sites. You'll find free things to download and print as well as how to get started.
    QuillingDiva

Answer by QuillingDiva at 4:12 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My suggestion, if you want to start scrapping~if you don't already have a job......GO GET ONE NOW~if you already have a job~go get ANOTHER one!!! Or, there's the somewhat 'cheaper' approach to scrapping~go digital

Or, you can stop by my house to do your scrapping~Hobby Lobby & Micheals call ME when they run out of scrap supplies!!! LOL
    maksmom2

Answer by maksmom2 at 11:24 PM on Mar. 16, 2009