How soon after you give birth is it possible for you to get pregnant ?

So, I had my son 3 weeks ago and last night my DH and I had sex. Well, the oh so wonderful DH that he is.. he decided to go INSIDE ME! Now I'm so worried I might be pregnant, again! I'm not ready for two kids. Especially since my first is only 3 weeks old.

How soon after you give birth is it possible for you to get pregnant again?

[also posted this question in pregnancy]

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I guess there is no completly perfect answer for your question b/c every woman is different. most women probably wouldnt have started ovulating again yet. But its not impossible.

I would think it HIGHLY unlikely. Dont worry yet !!!! ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:00 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• You are actually extremely fertile right after giving birth. It is a possibility. I have a friend who is ten months older than her younger brother. If you are breast feeding, I'd say it's less likely, if that helps. I only had one period after my baby before I got pregnant again (lost that one).
    Debbie062008

Answer by Debbie062008 at 10:05 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• You're likely to get pregnant after you have a baby. I believe it's when you're pretty fertile. Just some words from the wise. I have 3 sons (two of which who are only 13 months apart in age).
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 10:06 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Even if he hadn't "gone inside" you, you could still be pregnant. Pulling out is not good birth control.

Yes, you could very well be pregnant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• You can absolutely be pregnant. If you are breastfeeding then you have a shot at natural planning working BUT nothing is absolute. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• You have to ovulate to get pregnant again. If you're breastfeeding it isn't likely this has happened yet (though I got my period 6 weeks after giving birth exclusively breastfeeding). If not I'm not sure what the norm is. In any case, since your periods haven't started yet you can't use that to tell if you're pg. Wait 3 weeks and take a test. in the meantime, I agree with the pp that pulling out isn't effective birth control.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:29 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• It is possible - though unlikely - to get pregnant the very next day. Your next period isn't a sign that you can now get pregnant, it's sign that you didn't get pregnant LAST month.

Be aware that breastfeeding provides NO protection. Many, many kids are less than 18 months apart simply because mom thought breastfeeding meant she couldn't get pregnant. This is one of the oldest myths out there.

Also be aware that the pull-out method has one of the highest failure rates around. It barely counts as "birth control" at all. You can get pregnant from the fluids he secretes BEFORE he ejaculates. Many, many kids are born to women who used this form of "protection".

If you are not ready for a 2nd child - use a decent form of birth control to prevent it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:27 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• i heard that you can right away and to be very careful because women have a natural way of wanting to have sex and feel sexy right after having their baby and that breastfeeding is not proven to work as a b/c and also not everyone gets pregnant everytime the male gets off inside of her so i would have to say there is a chance you could be and a chance you couldnt be. good luck
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 1:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• oooh that sux...i was so scared of getting pregnant after my baby that i used condoms and BC! youre so fertile right after having a baby too....wow i could not handle two kids in diapers!!!
    Anonymous