TransAtlantic Tunnel?

I'm watching a documentary about a proposed TransAtlantic tunnel on the Science Channel. This tunnel will be floating below the surface of the water, tethered by the ocean floor.

Pros-

a) a vacuum tunnel that will increase speed because of no air-resistance

b) electric, no petroleum exhaust

c) combined efforts of many countries

d) pro-establishment for the future

e) technical too cool

Cons-

a) cost of tens of trillions

b) may increase more entrance of terrorists

c) enough steel from all steel mfg 24/7 for an entire year

Your prospects?

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 10:53 AM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• So your saying this tunnel would span frome the east coast of the USA to like England or France.
    I do not thing it will ever happen.To far of a gap. know body want to pay for it.

Answer by louise2 at 10:57 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• so, a bigger version of the English "Chunnel?"

and where will this tunnel transport us to/from...our sister land....CHINA?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• louise--whether we want to pay for something like this or not, doesn't matter. Obama won, he can do whatever he wants...because....well....he won!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• scary.. but a good thing in the long run. I saw the show too, actually quite a while ago, I wonder where they are at with it now?
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:06 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• and where will this tunnel transport us to/from...our sister land....CHINA?!

Miss Teen South Carolina? Is that you? Trans Atlantic would take us to the UK or Europe. Would have to be trans Pacific to get near China.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 11:36 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Considering the cost and problems with the "Big Dig" in Mass I don't see how this is feasible. We are talking a much larger scale project, deeper waters and multiple countries working together. What are the odds?

Maybe they could make windows so tourists could check out Titanic. HEY! that could be the first "in transit" movie.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 11:40 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• ANON-3:59,,,I did not say, we, as in the USA/Obama...I said know body,,as in, Countries. That do not want to pay for it. Stop putting word in my mouth that I didn't say.

Answer by louise2 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Oh good lord!
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Friday's right. I live in Mass and travel through the "Big Dig" tunnels everyday. They did not correct the problem of congestion, they leak constantly, someone died whn the ceiling panels collapsed because of shoddy workmanship. All I've gotten from those stupid tunnels is a longer commute, higher tolls (which are going to go even higher), the possibility of a 19 cent gas tax, and a state in the throws of a multi million dollar deficit which is affecting the school budget my children need so they can learn how to take the MCAS test!  Stupid government.

I really don't see a Trans Atlantic tunnel going any better.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 1:24 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I really don't think it will happen.. nice thought for those that don't like to fly, but there are so many cons, and not just those that are listed...
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:02 PM on Mar. 15, 2009